Thursday, 11 July 2013

Review: This Girl by Colleen Hoover


Title: This Girl
Author: Colleen Hoover
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: New Adult
Series: Slammed #3
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 13th August 2013

Tell Me About It
There are two sides to every love story. Now hear Will’s.

Colleen Hoover’s New York Times bestselling Slammed series has brought countless readers to their knees with a whirlwind of love, passion, and heartache.

Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from his point of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final instalment of the beloved Slammed series.


My Thoughts
I have been impatiently waiting for This Girl to be released and after getting it on a read now from netgalley I am far too impatient to wait to read it, so it's jumped the queue and is being read sooner than planned.
I have just finished listening to Slammed and Point of Retreat, so the story is fresh in my mind but even without listening to them, you can jump straight into This Girl without feeling like you have missed out on anything. I am very excited to be visiting Lake, Will, Kel and Caulder one again.

Before I get to the review if you have not read Slammed or Point of Retreat then do not read any further, go read them, and then come back here. If you have read them then be warned, while not intentional the following review *may* contain small spoilers for what happens in this story
*
*
*
*
*
*
This Girl alternates chapters from the present day at Lake and Will's honeymoon, and past events with Will telling his version of events in Slammed and sharing a bit about his past before Lake.

When we reach the point of the classroom incident from Slammed we are shown that Gavin knew more than he was letting on and part of me is glad that Will had someone to confide in like Lake did and help keep his secret and trying to stop it getting out. I loved getting to read Will's point of view, and while some moments are repeated from Slammed and felt slightly repetitive  getting to see his thoughts and feelings about them as well as the in between parts was a nice change. It also explained the reasons for things he said and did.

One part that really touched me was getting to see Will's reaction to losing his parents, and that broke my heart. It was like a giant wave of loss and sadness that just pours out of the pages, the feeling of helplessness that makes you want to dive right into the book to be there for Will.

This Girl was a quick read for me, possibly because I demolished the book in a few hours I couldn't read it slow or take my time, i HAD to know what happens. I laughed, I cried, and then cried some more.

The journey hasn't been easy for this pair, but feeling all the sadness, happiness, worry, nerves, and excitement with them made me love these characters more so than usual. Colleen Hoover has once again written a great book that draws you in, and in my case didn't let go till the very last word. I have loved taking this journey with Lake and Will, right from the very first page of the very first book, up to the very last word of This Girl, and I am sad to see it come to an end.


This series is a must read for anyone and is one that I will re-read in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...