Friday, 30 August 2013

Blog Tour: Review & Excerpt: Ties by Steph Campbell & Liz Reinahrdt


Title: Ties
Author: Steph Campbell & Liz Reinhardt
Author Info Steph: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Author Info Liz: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: New Adult
Series: Lengths #4
Source: InkSlinger PR
Publication Date: 26th August 2013

Tell Me About It
When a shiny new convertible arrives for her twenty-first birthday, Hattie Beckett has had enough of her absent dad trying to buy a place in her life. It’s time for him to face her--or get out of her life forever.

She tosses some clothes in a bag, looks up her father’s last known address, and sets her GPS for Silver Stand, California.

When she arrives at a beach-bum paradise that’s totally foreign to her New England upbringing and finds nothing but an empty lot where her dad maybe once lived, her immediate instinct is to pack up her car and head right back to Connecticut.

But she also finds... Deo. The half-brother she never knew she had. He and his hippy-dippy mom insist that Hattie stick around—at least for the summer. And with all of her friends spending the summer abroad, what else does she have to do?

Her ideas about family are blown wide open as Deo and Marigold pull her in with their charm and love. But there’s still a huge question mark where her dad is concerned, and that question mark definitely looms over her ideas about love and relationships.

When Hattie meets Ryan, the college dropout turned competitive sailor, her perspective flips with her heart. Like it or not, Hattie is falling fast and hard for Ryan... even if it’s the last thing that she expected - and the last thing her newly found brother wants for her.


OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, fan girl moment over, lets get back to the real reason for this post, my review of Ties.  I received my copy by participating in a blog tour, and when I was filling the form out I never in my wildest dreams thought I would get accepted.  So I may have been ridiculously excited, and may or may not have included a happy dance with my excitement.

Ties has a new protagonist, Hattie, she lives with her mum and the only contact she has with her Dad are expensive gifts for Birthdays and Christmas.  Her latest gift, a light blue beetle, is all the push she needs to leave home that summer and find her father to return the car and tell him to stop with the guilt gifts.  Upon arrival she meets Whit, who quickly see's the family resemblance to Deo, and after a very quick 'this is your sister', Deo is quick to give Hattie an emotional welcome.  When Marigold is involved we all know how exuberant she is, and from Deo's welcome, and then Marigold's welcome, Hattie is quickly accepted into the family with open arms.

Ties, like it's predecessors. has a male protagonist in the form of Ryan, and for those who remember him from Lengths can remember him not really being particularly nice, in fact he is an ass.  But don't worry, he has some redeeming qualities in Ties.  When we first get to Ryan's chapters he is in work, and one thing that I love about this meeting is the reference to The Mighty Ducks.  This movie is years old and I have never seen it mentioned in any book.  I love these movies and they never get old, it's made me smile to see this and then read the proceeding paragraph, and even though the gif below isn't the scene that's talked about, I couldn't help but post it.
Source
Ties lets us see a different side to Ryan than the one we saw in Lengths, and I will have to admit to actually liking him.  Yes he was an ass in Lengths, but in Ties it's like he is a different person completely.  He is learning from his past and is actually making something of himself, doing a job he loves and participating in boat racing, where he is certainly making himself known.

I love how Hattie is so determined not to fall for Ryan, she is stubborn and exactly the right kind of person for him.  She is a girl that won't come to his beck and call, makes him have to fight for her, and one that definitely knows who and what she wants.  There is a lot of sexual tension in Ties coming from both Hattie and Ryan, and while part of me wishes that Hattie wasn't quite as stubborn, I admire her for sticking to her guns and making Ryan see the light of day, and really fight for what he wants.
This couple probably had everything against them, family, distance, history, and then Hattie's need for rules, yet they manage to figure things out, make some sacrifices, loosen up a bit, and have fun...good clean fun and some sexy times fun.  I loved getting to see the characters from the other books in this series make an appearance in Ties, getting to see what they are doing now and how they have grown as a couple, they all open their arms to welcome Hattie into their extended family and make her feel like she is one of them, blood related or not.

There is a character that surprised me.  I never expected them to be who they were, and when the truth was revealed I wanted them to stay as far away as possible.  I was so happy to see they got what they deserved off more than a few people, and that make me extremely happy.

I demolished this book, no question about it.  Each new chapter had me wanting to know more, get to know these new characters and see what happens between them.  Ties is a real page turner and I could not put this book down.  Each new instalment in this series just gets better and better, and each new male lead makes you fall in love with them, and Ryan is no exception. I finished this book with a ridiculous grin on my face and a huge sigh of happiness.  Move over Deo, Cohen and Adam, and make way for Ryan.

With the publication of Ties this series has made a full circle and has gone back to where it all began.  This is a perfect way to end a series but I am desperately hoping that it's not really the end, that Steph and Liz have another secret instalment up their sleeves after we have finished Riptides.

Photobucket

TIES -- Excerpt 
 [© CAMPBELL/REINHARDT]

RYAN

“I’m a rule-loving gal, what can I say.” She takes a deep breath. “You don’t approve of my rules?”
“Do I have a say in this?”
“I don’t even know if you’re a player in this.” The smile she flashes is half teasing, half gut-punch serious. “I’ll look over your application.”
“Ah. So I’m just supposed to wait around. Is this a ‘don’t call me, I’ll call you’ kinda thing?” I ask.
“I don’t recall anything about sitting around, all mopey, and waiting in the rules.” Her smile morphs wide and wicked.
My brain buzzes, mostly with a strong warning to stay the hell away from this girl with insane ideas about how relationships work unless I’m looking for the most painful way to attempt a new relationship. But there’s a piece of me that loves a challenge and is stubborn as all hell. That piece decides to flip her first order of business.
“Hey, Hattie?” We’re both staring at the sun that’s getting swallowed, slowly, slowly, by the choppy water.
“Yeah?”
“You wanna do something later this week?”
I didn’t realize how stiff her body had been until she relaxed. She goes completely soft against me, and I get a serious burst of confidence knowing what her body wants, no matter that the next word out of her mouth contradicts what I know.
And is a total bluff.
“Maybe.”

About Steph
Steph Campbell grew up in Southern California, but now calls Southwest Louisiana home. She has one husband, four children and a serious nail polish obsession.

Steph's works include Delicate, Grounding Quinn and Beautiful Things Never Last; My Heart for Yours and My Fate for Yours (with Jolene Perry); A Toast to the Good Times (with Liz Reinhardt) and the bestselling new adult LENGTHS series with Liz Reinhardt: Lengths, Depths, Limits, Ties & Riptides.


About Liz
Liz Reinhardt was born and raised in the idyllic beauty of northwest NJ. A move to the subtropics of coastal Georgia with her daughter and husband left her with a newly realized taste for the beach and a bloated sunscreen budget. Right alongside these new loves is her old, steadfast affection and longing for bagels and the fast-talking foul mouths of her youth.

She loves Raisinettes, even if they aren't really candy, the Oxford comma, movies that are hilarious or feature zombies, any and all books, but especially romance (the smarter and hotter, the better), the sound of her daughter's incessantly wise and entertaining chatter, and watching her husband work on cars in the driveway.

She is the author of the Brenna Blixen series (Double Clutch, Junk Miles, Slow Twitch), the Youngblood series (Fall Guy, Perfectly Unmatched), and co-writes with the awesome Steph Campbell in the Lengths series (Lengths, Depths, Limits, Ties, Riptides).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...