Thursday, 29 August 2013

Review: Arclight by Josin L. McQuein


Title: Arclight
Author: Josin L. McQuein
Author Info: Website/Blog|Twitter
Genre: post-Apocalyptic
Series: Arclight #1
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 5th August 2013

Tell Me About It
The Arclight is the last refuge in a post-apocalyptic world consumed by terrifying monsters called the Fade. No one crosses the wall of light that keeps the last human survivors safe. There's nothing else left and nowhere to go. Or so they thought, until Marina, a lone teenage girl, stumbles out of the Dark.

Marina can’t remember anything about her life before that moment. Where has she come from? How has she survived? And why do the rulers of the Dark seem determined to destroy her? To find out, she will have to venture back into the Dark . . .

Edgy and chilling, perfect for fans of Veronica Roth, Stephen King and Suzanne Collins.

My Thoughts
Light is safety; light is life

Imagine living your life following this mantra.  That staying inside the Arclight, a wall of light to keep out the shadows and Fades, will keep you safe.  Having to have drills to make sure that you know what to do if a Fade attacks.  Marina can't remember much, just that she escaped the Fades and now they want her back, putting herself, and the people around her in jeopardy.  Others have already lost their lives protecting her when she ran out of the dark, how many more will lose theirs to keep her safe in the Arclight.

Arclight has been on my radar for a while and I was super excited to see it had been picked up by a UK publisher.  I love the cover of the book, and it reflects the story perfectly.  Arclight starts off nice and safe, and quickly turns into craziness. The warning system is set and slowly turns to red alert, everyone must make their way to safe areas, not so easy when people are panicking,Fades are attacking, and they can only think of one person to blame, Marina.

Arclight had me hooked from the very first page.  Why is Marina's past such a foggy memory for her?  What makes her so attractive to the Fades?  Both of these questions are answered and more within the pages, and when her past is finally revealed it was one I didn't expect.  I was shocked by the revelation, saddened by a secret that came from this revelation, but also happy with some things that came along with it, I know I sound confusing at the moment, but I really really don't want to spoil this book so I am trying to be a vague as possible but still share my feelings.

The characters in Arclight were easy to like.  Marina, the protagonist, instantly made me want to protect her, keep her safe, while Tobin I could have left to the side until he changed his attitude towards Marina after she saves him from a Fade attack.  When he finally begins to be nicer towards Marina I found myself wanting him to be safe too, but also wanting him to be there to protect Marina.

In all books there are characters you don't like, and Honoria is one of them. There was always something off about her and although she is in charge of Arclight, I never felt like her intentions towards the others were pure.  Parts of this are shown when she withholds information purposely to 'protect' the children, yet this information could save lives.  When the truth is revealed, the same time as some of Marina's I was glad that everyone could see the truth.

Josin has created a world that is unique and makes it instantly rememberable. Arclight was an un-put-downable (is this even a real word??? it is for now ;)) read and while I am glad I got to read it, I am disappointed that I have to wait forever for the next instalment.  I need the next book now!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...