Monday, 5 August 2013

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas


Title: Crown of Midnight
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Throne of Glass #2
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 15th August 2013

Tell Me About It
Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.
My Thoughts
Do you ever have that feeling, when you have waited so long to read a book that when it finally arrives you don't want to pick it up, scared it wont live up to its predecessor or your expectations.  When I received Crown of Midnight I was hesitant to make a start on it.  I absolutely loved Throne of Glass and I was scared Crown of Midnight would not live up to my expectations.  The minute I began reading I lost any doubts I had about Crown of Midnight, it was instant love and I fell head over heels into the pages.

***Before I get to the review, please be aware that this is the second book in this series and will contain spoilers for Throne of Glass, and unintentional spoilers for Crown of Midnight***

Crown of Midnight picks up with Celaena in the middle of an assassination she is sent on by the king.  Celaena is the Kings champion, a hired assassin, she is sent out to kill anyone who crosses the Kings path, and to bring back proof.  However each kill is a lie, and Celaena must be sure to make it look real, and cover her tracks, all while trying to keep Chaol alive and her identity safe.  On top of all of this Celaena is still torn between her feelings for Dorian and Chaol, and while she sways towards one more than the other in the beginning it was never a done deal.

One of the funniest moments in the book for me was when Celaena enlists Chaol's help in doing some scouting on an assassination job, which involves going to Willows, a tea court.  He is unhappy about the prospect of actually entering Willows and receives some choice comments form Celaena, his response is.....
"The next time we train," he said as they eased through the throng of beautifully dressed women, "remind me to wallop you."
[Chaol to Celaena page 57 UK paperback]
This part of the conversation is overheard by others, so Celaena kind,y reminds him of his role in this outing.
"This is the part where you shut your mouth and pretend to be a woolly-headed bit of decoration.  Shouldn't be too hard for you."
[Celaena to Chaol page 57 UK paperback]
Crown of Midnight introduces us to new characters and more secrets and mysteries, but also keeping the familiar old faces.  Nehemia was a character that I was never one hundred percent about in this book, part of me wanted to trust her, yet the other part thought she was hiding something, that the things she was telling Celaena didn't quite add up.  So much goes on in the pages of this book that you are never tempted to stray from the pages, whether it be a secret, a puzzle solved, a magical mystery, or just wanting to know what happens next.

Crown of Midnight completely, one hundred percent, drew me in.  I never knew what was around the corner, what would happen next.  I was constantly on alert, worried that Celaena's assassin secret would get out.  There are brutal murders, funny moments, moments that had you saying 'finally'

and moments that I cried....although probably not at the moment I thought I would.

The world Sarah J. Maas has created just continues to surprise you, yet continues to draw you in.  The last few chapters completely surprised me, secrets were revealed that I didn't expect, both good and bad and I am desperate to read the next book...I need it right now.  This book this series is a must read for anyone.  Go pick up a copy now.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this even more than Throne of Glass! That ending was such a shocker for me and I can't wait for the next book after that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...