Thursday, 8 August 2013

Review: Out of Play by Nyrae Dawn & Jolene Perry


Title: Out of Play
Author: Nyrae Dawn & Jolene Perry
Nyrae's Info: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Jolene's Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: New Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 6th August 2013

Tell Me About It
Rock star drummer Bishop Riley doesn't have a drug problem. Celebrities—especially ones suffering from anxiety—just need a little help taking the edge off sometimes. After downing a few too many pills, Bishop wakes up in the hospital facing an intervention. If he wants to stay in the band, he’ll have to detox while under house arrest in Seldon, Alaska.  Hockey player Penny Jones can't imagine a life outside of Seldon. Though she has tons of scholarship offers to all the best schools, the last thing she wants is to leave. Who'll take care of her absentminded gramps? Not her mother, who can’t even be bothered to come home from work, let alone deal with their new tenants next door. Penny’s not interested in dealing with Bishop’s crappy attitude, and Bishop’s too busy sneaking pills to care. Until he starts hanging out with Gramps and begins to see what he’s been missing. If Bishop wants a chance with the fiery girl next door, he’ll have to admit he has a problem and kick it. Too bad addiction is hard to kick…and Bishop’s about to run out of time.
My Thoughts
When I saw Out of Play on netgalley I knew I had to request it, and kept my fingers and toes crossed that I got accepted.  When I received an email saying I had been accepted to read it I was beyond excited.

The very first chapter is intense, Bishop goes home after a concert and is trying to find peace, quietness, escape from the noise and attention.  His chosen form of escape is pills and alcohol, until he wakes up in hospital and discovers he could have died.  With the shocking discovery comes the unwanted decision from his manager and his Mum, sending Bishop to Alaska to get himself together, or end up out the band, or dead if he carries on with this path.  Bishop is sent to live in Alaska with Gary, who is there to supervise and make sure he doesn't stray from the path chosen for him.
Penny is hockey player on mans team, she shows all who doubt her who is the boss as she consistently assists in goals.  She lives with Mum and Granddad and they own the cabins that Bishop is sent to for recovery.

I love that although Out of Play is set in Alaska, and Bishop mentions a lot that it is isolated, I didn't feel isolated, the surrounding area they describe sounds magical and it would be a perfect place for me to be isolated.  It also helps that Penny is constantly surrounded by her small group of friends, and you find yourself falling into this group and feeling like you are actually there, the times she is alone is still doesn't feel lonely.  One other thing that I love is the hockey aspect, I have no balance and no co-ordination, so my dreams of being a fantastic hockey player are obviously just dreams, but I love how Penny has it all, she is the best hockey player in her team, she is the only female in her team and plays against tougher, taller, stronger opponents and comes out fighting.  Nothing can stop her following her dreams and I love how she is sure of herself, and her dreams, and is prepared to fight for what she wants.  She is true epitome of girl power.

After the initial misunderstanding between Penny and Bishop, I loved how he was there to help Penny with her Granddad when she needed it.  The ups and downs between this duo are normal for every relationship, and THAT is what makes the story, the realism of their problems, secrets and feelings for each other.  It's not rushed, hurried or fake, it's all real, the slow burning friendship that slowly grows and becomes flames of passion, feelings and romance.  The sledding that Bishop participates in sounds crazy ass scary, and while I am a snow person and pray for snow constantly, I doubt I would have the guts to do that.
Although Penny and Bishop do stand out, another character that does is Gramps, he see's behind Bishops disguise and tells him what's what.  He is a sweet, old man that pulled on my heartstrings.

I loved every single page of Out of Play, but with two amazing authors at the helm it's no surprise there.  Out of Play was an easy book for me to love, the characters are real and feel like firm friends a few pages in.  The setting alone makes you want to stay there forever.  I could not put this book down, and if I had a physical copy and not an e-copy I would have finished it in a few hours, rather than having to read it only at home.  I was instantly drawn into the pages of this book, I loved the characters, the area it is set, and I am looking forward to seeing what else these authors have to offer, either as a team or alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...