Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Review: Stay With Me by Elyssa Patrick


Title: Stay With Me
Author: Elyssa Patrick
Author Info: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Romance
Series: With Me #1
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 30th August 2013

Tell Me About It
With one look, I’m his . . .

With one touch, he’s mine . . .

With one kiss, it changes everything between us . . .


I’ve been famous since I can remember. Singing, acting, dancing—I’ve done it all. The tabloids cover my every move, but I don’t want that anymore. I want to be normal, whatever that is.

When I leave Hollywood for college in Vermont, I’m on my own for the first time in my life. This is my chance to figure out who I am and what I want in life.

But it’s a lot harder than I expected. I can’t escape my image. Classes are difficult, and I’m struggling. And then there’s Caleb Fox.

Sexy, intriguing Caleb Fox.

Caleb is the one man who doesn’t want to use me. He breaks down my walls. He challenges me. He wants me. And I just don’t know if I can give him the same—or if he’ll stick around when he finds out my shameful secret that the tabloids haven’t managed to uncover.

Dating him is risky enough, but loving him could break me.


My Thoughts
I saw Stay With Me on netgalley and the synopsis immediatley drew me in.  I began reading with a lot of enthusiasm, wanting to know more about Hailey Bloom, pop star turned college student, and learn more about Caleb Fox.
Hailey's initial meeting with Caleb is at a party, and while he keeps her secret safe he is also mysterious, not revealing much about himself.  It takes a few chapters before we learn about him.

When we meet Caleb he is definitely mysterious but soon we learn more about him and get to see the sparks fly between this duo.  From then on its just about Harley's life in college, her relationship with Caleb, some secret she is hiding, and the occasional mention of her Mum and what she is doing to ruin Hailey's reputation.
I liked getting to meet Caleb's friends and their individual personalities made them stand out from each other, the new friends that Hailey makes are rememberable, but also have their own story to tell.  Given all that though I wouldn't say I was invested in their outcome until I reached the ending of Stay With Me, were things are left open for them to tell their own story.

I went into Stay With Me with no idea what to expect from the author, and while I did enjoy the story I wouldn't say I loved it.  After reading the synopsis I thought there would be more Hollywood mentioned than there really was, like we would see the build up and what led up to Hailey wanting to leave and go to college.  That when she speaks about her Mum that we would get flashbacks to explain what made Hailey want to cut all ties with her, that we would get more background information.  I liked the characters, and the idea behind the story was good, it just didn't quite make it to amazing.

Obviously there was something there to draw me in and keep me reading, and while it wasn't something that had me finishing the book and being overwhelmed by what transpired in the pages, it definitely left me curious about the outcome of some characters and where they are heading next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...