Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Review: Falling Hard by Megan Sparks


Title: Falling Hard
Author: Megan Sparks
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Roller Girls #1
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 1st October 2013

Tell Me About It
When Annie moves from London to a small town in the midwest, she struggles to fit in. She gets off to a bad start when she makes an enemy of her school's queen bee, Kelsey. But she discovers a new passion, the exciting sport of roller derby, and makes friends with the cool and quirky girls on her team, the Liberty Belles. She also meets Jesse, the friendly boy who works at the roller rink, and Tyler, a cute, all-American sports star.

My Thoughts
I really like reading or watching anything to do with Roller Derby, it may be because I have no balance myself so I love to live vicariously through others...and watch them fall down....hard.
Falling Hard is Annie's story, she has just moved to Illinois from England, with her father.  He is starting a business and she is staring a new life, thousands of miles away from home.  Within the first few days of being in Illinois Annie literally bumps into the popular girl, while trying to avoid a dog, by performing some awesome moves on roller-blades.  The girls is less than impressed and in typical fashion has set her sights on Annie and wants revenge.  The  owner of the dog, who is called Sid, is a skater boy and complements Annie on her skills, we later learn the skater boy is Jesse and has some serious skills himself.
Lexie, who is the first teenager Annie sees and also the first friend she makes, is perfect for Annie.  She supports Annie in her plans to join the Liberty Belles roller derby team, and supports her 100%.  She also works wonders in Annie's Dad's restaurant, painting amazing murals on the walls with British themes, which I absolutely loved and I wish there were illustrations in Falling Hard so we got to see these amazing pieces of art.

From the minute I began reading Falling Hard I was hooked, getting an insight into Annie's thoughts as she tries to traverse her new life, known as school, and try to fit in with the right people.  She tries out for cheer leading and roller derby, trying to find her own little niche and comfort zone.  She then has to make the decision which to pick, be part of the popular crowd or be a derby girl where they all stand up for one another and everyone is part of the family

I really enjoyed Falling Hard  Annie shows how hard it is to adjust to a different country and the struggles she faces everyday, no only with trying to blend in with a British accent, but also overcoming the different uses of words.  She also shows what you are capable of doing if you put your mind to it and I liked getting to see her adjust to her new home, making friends and succeeding at something.

When I began reading I expected Falling Hard to take a while to get through, but honestly it didn't take long to read and my only issue with the book is that it finished far too soon.  The way the chapter ends I initially thought that it had reached a new part to the book, when I fact I had reached the end of the book, which was disappointing.  I do hope there will be another book to follow Falling Hard as I feel like there hasn't been closure, there are things left undone between Kelsey and Annie, and there was never a definite answer between Jesse and Tyler. We know how Annie feels about Tyler and Jesse but we don't get to see if she makes a decision on either of the boys.
Upon this review going live there are in fact more books to this series which makes me very happy.

1 comment:

  1. Not good to make the most popular girl angry. I doubt if she could have reasoned with her about bumping into the dog.(:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...