Saturday, 28 September 2013

Review: Model Misfit [Geek Girl #2] by Holly Smale


Title: Model Misfit
Author: Holly Smale
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Geek Girl #2
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 26th September 2013

Tell Me About It
“My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.”

Harriet knows that modelling won’t transform you. She knows that being as uniquely odd as a polar bear isn’t necessarily a bad thing (even in a rainforest). And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.

What Harriet doesn’t know is where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives.

With summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get as far away from home as possible. But nothing can prepare Harriet for the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes.

Because, this time, Harriet knows what a broken heart feels like.

Can geek girl find her place on the other side of the world or is Harriet lost for good?
My Thoughts
I seriously didn't think its possible to love these books any more than I already did, until I received a copy of Model Misfit for review, and before I had even finished the first chapter I realised I was completely wrong, and somehow I found myself loving Harriet and all of her friends even more than I previously did.  What I love so much about Harriet is her geekyness that she is not afraid to show, and how it comes out more when she is nervous or when she is modelling, which just cracks me up every time.
If you read Geek Girl then you know that Harriet's step Mother, Annabel, is expecting her baby within the next couple of months, but this also affects Harriet's modelling, especially when she is offered the job to go to Japan.  Of course the parentals flat out refuse to let her go alone, and both her Father and Annabel have to stay in England for the baby.  Enter Bunty, Annabel's wacky Mother who is tasked with taking Harriet to Japan, and to look after her while there.

With Harriet in Japan we don't get to see much of Toby or Nat, but the short time we do spend with them is as entertaining as ever and I looked forward to seeing what they would do or say next whenever they had a part in the book.

Model Misfit is even better than Geek Girl,  Harriet is even more of a geek than ever, if that is even possible, but she is also facing a lot of new things by herself.  Stuck in Japan with no-one to help her she makes friends with Poppy and Rin, her two room-mates in Japan, and their cat Kylie Minogue.  Poppy I had reservations about from the beginning, things just didn't sit right with me.  Rin was adorable, in a crazy kind of way, and I love how she tries to speak English and gets the words mixed up or sayings wrong.  She adores Harriet and even wants more geekisims from her, which pleases Harriet to no end.  Harriet is also dealing with Nick, A.K.A Lion Boy, and the fact that he has dumped her.  Getting over your true love is never easy, and Harriet does a spectacular job at showing how not to go about it.

While I did laugh a lot throughout Model Misfit, I also did feel sorry for Harriet, she is way out of her league among Models, only really feeling comfortable with Nat, Toby and Nick, but I have to admire her for sticking with it, and no matter what was thrown in her way she consistently picks herself back up and carries on.  She is tricked, lied to, made to look like a fool, and late for her modelling jobs, yet she still works her ass off each and every time, even in the most disgusting places.  Her finally job sounds amazing, and I would not only love to be in that location, but also get to see the dress that sounds absolutely fantastically gorgeous.

I don't want to say much else about the book as there are a lot of surprises that even shocked me, and even mentioning a small portion of it will spoil it for those of you who haven't read Model Misfit yet.  Put it this way, if you loved Geek Girl, then Model Misfit is a MUST BUY.

Holly Smale has once again made me fall completely into the world she has created and I devoured every single page. This is one of the few book series that I give five star reviews to for every book I have read so far.  The countdown is on for the next book in this series which I needed yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...