Thursday, 12 September 2013

Review: Popping the Cherry by Aurelia B. Rowl


Title: Popping the Cherry
Author: Aurelia B. Rowl
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: New Adult
Source: Author via netgalley
Publication Date: 19th September 2013

Tell Me About It
You only get one first time . . .

From driving tests to relationships, Valentina Bell thinks she’s a failure, with a big fat capital F. At this rate, she’s certain she’ll be a virgin for ever. So Lena’s friends plan Operation: Popping the Cherry to help her find the perfect man first time.

Yet somehow disastrous dates with bad-boy musicians and fabulous evenings with secretly in-the-closet guys aren’t quite working out how Lena planned.

Soon Lena’s avoiding Operation: Popping the Cherry to spend time with comforting, aloof Jake, her best friend’s older brother, who doesn’t make her feel self-conscious about still clinging to her V card. But could Jake show Lena that sometimes what you’re looking for most is right by your side?

A FOREVER for the twenty-first century
My Thoughts
I had not previously heard of Popping the Cherry until the author contacted me regarding a review request.  After a quick look to find out more I decided that I HAD to read this book.  From the minute I began reading Popping the Cherry I was hooked, I love that the book is so British, even down to all the British swear words and slang.  The characters were instantly likeable and believable, and I found myself falling into the pages and not wanting to come up for air.

The protagonist Valentina (Lena) has just had her heart broken by her boyfriend.  Her friends Gem, Chloe, Flick and Piper are there to pick up the pieces, and also assist in project: Popping the Cherry.  They want Lena to add to their list of eligible boys from school, she has to date them, and on her birthday, sleep with one of them.  When ensues is a lot of crappy dates, meeting Mr Wrong before finally finding Mr Right.  But this project is not as easy and simple as it looks on paper.

Alice, Lena's arch nemesis, has her claws set on getting Lena back for making her look a fool in front of others, and her payback is the worst thing that could happen to Lena.....but I'm not going to spill on what it is.  Personally I loved how Lena took no crap off Alice and stood up for herself, I think Alice deserved it just from the few sentences she manages to get out before being humiliated.

Now, lets get back to the list of eligible boys.  The first one we meet is Sean, who although is very polite towards Lena, he is the perfect match for Flick.  The next boy we meet is Hayden, a sexy goth/emo boy, who is also in a band.  However their first date is a total disaster.
I went into Popping the Cherry thinking it would be a light read, but when Lena is left stranded and then chased I completely changed my mind.  As she was going through all of this I found myself scared, afraid, nervous and worried for Lena.  I wanted to pick her up and hug her and make it all better for her.  Jake, Gemma's brother, is Lena's knight in shining armour, and I was relieved that she had someone who could come to her rescue, make her feel safe, comfort and calm her.  The more we get to know him the more I liked Jake, especially since he has a complete set of The Lord of the Rings on DVD.  We quickly learn of his feeling for Lena, but with her mind set on following her list, will Jake get a chance to show how he feels, or will he be relegated to the sidelines, only allowed to watch on as Lena tries to make a choice.

Popping the Cherryisnt all rainbows and flowers, and it has parts that really makes you think about different situations, and about how peer pressure can affect you in such a big way.  While the 'project' initially starts off as fun for most of the girls involved, it soon turns sinister, ensuring everyone involved rethinks their own actions.  Underneath all the drama though there is a feeling of real friendship and real emotions.  I even found myself sorting characters into 'like' and 'dislike' categories in my head according to what they did within the pages.  Popping the Cherry was a quick read but one that I thoroughly enjoyed and I would not hesitate in picking up another book by Aurelia.

1 comment:

  1. Fab review and a fab sounding book. One to look into more I think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...