Thursday, 12 September 2013

Review: Portal 24 by Meredith Stroud


Title: Portal 24
Author: Meredith Stroud
Author Info: Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 5th September 2013

Tell Me About It
When teen con-artist Darius is approached by a mysterious government agent about joining a 'Project Oberon', he has no idea what to expect. Certainly not that Project Oberon is actually a top-secret experiment which sends teens back through time to prevent disasters before they happen! Before Darius has time to wonder why he's been chosen, his first mission arrives in the form of a huge electromagnetic weapon of mass destruction, which will kill millions of people in New York - unless Darius and the team can stop it. They're confident; it's all in a day's work for these teen wonders, but what they don't bet on is evil mastermind Ludd. And what they don't know is that Ludd knows the deadly secret behind Project Oberon. If Darius and the gang don't make it back to the portal within twenty-four hours, then they'll be lost in time forever...
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Portal 24 I knew it was a book I had to read, and when it arrived along with an amazing cover I couldn't wait to make a start on it.  The protagonist of Portal 24 is Darius, a card shark and all round scammer.  In this life he has two people he likes, his friend Oscar, and his girlfriend Zoe.  Darius is going on with his life as happily as he can, until he is approached by an Oberon agents, sent to recruit him.
Oberon is a secret agency that has access to an experimental method of time travel, and they want Darius to join the team with Constance, Bianca, Malik and Leon.  Together this group must travel back in time by 24 hours, and stop a weapon of mass destruction from going off in New York.

Portal 24 started out as a promising read that just didn't quite hit the mark for me.  I thought Portal 24 was entertaining, the characters were likeable, and I liked the idea behind the plot unfortunately there were also a few things that I didn't quite like.  I felt like Darius accepted it all far too quickly, one minute he is on the streets, the next he is being recruited, barely a training lesson then sent on mission, he didn't question it or hesitate, he just went along with it.

Portal 24 also felt very similar to Tempest and Insignia.  To me it felt like these books had been put into a mixer and Portal 24 is the result.  I didn't feel like I could enjoy it as much as I initially thought I would, and although I soon found myself predicting what was going to happen next I did enjoy the outcome of it all.  Portal 24 is only a small book, 240 in total, and I did feel like it was over too quickly, maybe a bit more detail beforehand would have made this book a bit more believable for Darius's role.

1 comment:

  1. I remember being sent something about this one but I didn't request it, it didn't grab me. I think I would have possibly thought the same as you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...