Saturday, 28 September 2013

Review: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson


Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Author Info: Website|Tumblr|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Purchased by myself
Publication Date: 7th June 2012

Tell Me About It
Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.
My Thoughts
Second Chance Summer has been sitting on my shelf since it was published. I loved Amy & Rogers Epic Detour so the moment I found out Morgan was writing another book I knew I had to buy it, even without reading the synopsis. I had an idea of what the Second Chance Summer is all about, and for that reason alone that is why it has taken so long for me to pick this book up, it hits very close to home and I've had to build myself up to reading it.

Second Chance Summer follows Taylor and her family as they return the their lake house, after years of not going, to make this one summer last.  To make lasting memories as a family, together in one place.  During her time here Taylor also has to confront her past, and the mistakes she made with her friends.  She sees old faces she doesn't particularly want to see, Henry her ex boyfriend, and Lucy her ex best friend. While there is atmosphere between Taylor and each individual, there is a reason for it and I was desperate to find out what caused this rift, wanting to know what caused this huge rift to appear between what used to be best friends that did everything together.  As the past is slowly revealed I found myself becoming more drawn into the story, wanting to see things made right again.

When I began reading Second Chance Summer I was hooked. I love the relationship Taylor has with her Dad, and the relationship between her siblings reminds me of mine growing up.  Even the environment around the lake house sounds idyllic and would be a perfect getaway retreat to sit and relax.

I love how Morgan can write such a hard thing to experience, yet still draw you in and make you feel part of the family. Experiencing every moment of happiness, sadness, and loss with them. I stayed up till 2am to finish this book, I could not put it down.  Towards the end of the book I was heartbroken for Taylor and I cried a lot, every page had me wiping the tears from my eyes, determined I was going to finish this book no matter what.

Second Chance Summer is a fantastic read that takes you on one hell of an emotional roller coaster ride, and even though the subject matter is hard, and I was a crying wreck near the end, I would not hesitate to pick this book up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...