Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Audiobook Review: Shift by Kim Curran


Title: Shift
Author: Kim Curran
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Narrator: Joe Jameson
Running Time: 7hrs 35 minutes
Source: AudioGo
Publication Date: 6th September 2012

Tell Me About It
When your average, 16-year old loser, Scott Tyler, meets the beautiful and mysterious Aubrey Jones, he learns he's not so average after all. He's a 'Shifter'. And that means he has the power to undo any decision he's ever made. At first, he thinks the power to shift is pretty cool. But as his world starts to unravel around him he realises that each time he uses his power, it has consequences; terrible unforeseen consequences. Shifting is going to get him killed. In a world where everything can change with a thought, Scott has to decide where he stands.

My Thoughts
It's no secret that I spend a lot of my time when I am not reading, listening to audiobooks, and I received Shift at the perfect time to give me something new to listen to. For some reason unknown to me I missed out on the publication of Shift, so having the chance to review an audiobook of it was perfect for me.
Like some of my previous reviews I am going to break down this review into different sections, and give my thoughts on each one.

The Plot
I love the whole idea behind the story, and having children have the ability to Shift. The plot has so many twists and turns it not only keeps you on your toes, but also has you guessing what will happen next. The different organisations involved in Shift had different roles, and even after finishing the book I have no idea who is good and who is bad. My decisions on who I liked and disliked were challenged and questioned, making me doubt myself. While this may not be a happy choice to be left with for others, for me it just makes me want the next book even more so I can get more information on these organisations and try to discover the real truth. I love how realistic the book is, and that when Scott is finally recruited by ARES he still isn't perfect, and acts like he has just been thrown into it all, which he has, no attempt was made to 'rush' him though the training or make him a super student and suddenly know everything, being not so perfect gives him an endearing quality and makes you root for him even more.

The Narrator
The narrator, Joe Jameson, does a great job at keeping you focused on what is going on. He does a fantastic job at the different accents for the characters and it made it easy to distinguish who was saying what. There are a few narrators that keep me focused on the story, and Joe is one of them, I strained to make sure I didn't miss a single word, I purposely kept myself awake till the iPod switched off to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Overall
Overall I really enjoy Shift, and I am disappointed I missed out on this the first time round knowing I missed out on a great 'read'. I am looking forward to finding out what happens next in Control, and that is possibly the only good thing about being late for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...