Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Review: One by Leigh Ann Kopans


Title: One
Author: Leigh Ann Kopans
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: One Universe #1
Source: Purchased by myself
Publication Date: 29th May 2013

Tell Me About It
When having two powers makes you a Super and having none makes you a Normal, having only one makes you a sad half-superpowered freak. It makes you a One. Sixteen-year-old Merrin Grey would love to be able to fly - too bad all she can do is hover. If she could just land an internship at the Biotech Hub, she might finally figure out how to fix herself. She busts her butt in AP Chem and salivates over the Hub's research on the manifestation of superpowers, all in hopes of boosting her chances. Then she meets Elias VanDyne, another One, and all her carefully crafted plans fly out the window. Literally. When the two of them touch, their Ones combine to make them fly, and when they're not soaring over the Nebraska cornfields, they're busy falling for each other. Merrin's mad chemistry skills land her a spot on the Hub's internship short list, but as she gets closer to the life she always wanted, she discovers that the Hub's purpose is more sinister than it has always seemed. Now it's up to her to decide if it's more important to fly solo, or to save everything - and everyone - she loves.
I use Grammarly's grammar checker online because I like to know the who, what, and where, not who, what, and wear.
My Thoughts
I have had my eye on One for a while, and when I finally had some extra money I knew I had to buy the special edition, with a few pages of the graphic novel at the back. The cover is amazing and I love the little touches that mean something to the story, like the wings behind Merrin.

In Leigh Ann has created there are three different types of people. Normals which are humans like us, Ones who only have the ability of One power, and Twos, those who have two powers. The protagonist Merrin is a One she only has the power to hover off the ground, but not fly. Being a One means she is an outcast in Superior High among the Twos, so she is moved to Nelson High, a Normal school. Her younger brothers, however, are Twos and have the ability to walk on water.

Growing up with Twos, Merrin is now faced with being surrounded by normals, and now entering their education system she is faced a different story of events about what caused these abilities and sees how much it differentiates from the version she knows. I fell fast and hard into the world Leigh Ann has created, and it only took me a few hours to finish One. I love the idea behind having these abilities and how two different abilities work together to make a power.

Moving to Nelson High does not mean Merrin is away from all of the supernatural goings on, and she soon finds comfort and friendship in a small group of people, Leni, Daniel, and Elias. As this group learn more about each other, they also discover something about themselves and their powers, which was something I had figured out before it was mentioned, which is possibly a first for me. I love how these three welcome Merrin into their group and are there to support her and have her back. The homework session made me laugh at how competitive they are.
I did feel sorry for Merrin regarding her home life, it felt like she was left out of a lot of things, and although her brothers like her, I felt her parents didn't give her as much attention as they could have, they always seemed busy with work.

One was literally an unputdownable read, and I could not stop reading. The world drew me in so much I did not want to leave it. The characters felt realistic, and I found myself emotionally invested in their outcome at the end of the story, but also throughout the page, wanting them to have the friendship, love and support they needed. So much creativity that went into this book, having to think of the different abilities and finding powers to work together to make it a Two, and also the back story of how this all happened. When I made it to the end of One I actually breathed a sigh of relief, and not because it was over, but because I had Two, the next book in this series, ordered and on its way to me, meaning I don't have to wait forever to find out what happens next.

Sponsorship Disclaimer:
This post has been sponsored by Grammarly, an online automated proofreader that I used as part of a free trial.
Grammarly before and after checks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...