Thursday, 10 October 2013

Review: Resist by Sarah Crossan


Title: Resist
Author: Sarah Crossan
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Dystopia
Series: Breathe #2
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 10th October 2013

Tell Me About It
Resistance to the Pod Leadership has come apart. The Grove has been destroyed but so has the Pod Minister. Quinn, Bea and Alina separately must embark on a perilous journey across the planet's dead landscape in search of the rumoured resistance base Sequoia. Meanwhile the Pod Minister has been succeeded by his capricious daughter. Her brother, Ronan, is supposed to advise her, but his doubts about the regime lead to him being sent out of the Pod in search of Quinn. In a world in which the human race is adapting to survive with little air, the stakes are high.
My Thoughts
From the minute I finished reading Breathe I was desperate to find out what happened next, and I have been counting down the days till the publication of Resist.  I am usually good at remembering what happened in previous books when I start the next on in the series, but my mind went blank when it came to reading Resist, so I had to go to recaptains to find out what happened in Breathe. However I still struggled with trying to remember who was where, who was who, and what side they were on, and I wish I had the time to read Breathe before starting Resist.

Resist picks up after the events of Breathe, which the characters doing their best to get as far away as possible from the Grove and find a was to Sequoia, or to get back home and blend in.  Resist takes us to each group as they travel and attempt to do what they set out to do.  Alina is with a small group of people from the Grove, as they attempt to find their way to Sequoia.  Bea and Quinn are with Jazz, going through old abandoned tunnels as they also find their way to Sequoia
We are back with the old characters we fell in love with in Breathe, but more is at stake this time. With them being split up and divided, they have to work twice as hard to make what they are doing count, to make it out the other end and fight for what they believe.

Resist introduces us to some new characters that I instantly liked, and some I detested. Towards the end of the book I found myself fully engrossed in the story, desperate to know what happens next, wanting to see if they made it out alive, questioning if they would find each other, and who would win this war. I was previously warned it would make me cry, and I was thankful for the warning, I cried unexpectedly over a death, and cried over losing someone who I didn't except to lose.

While I absolutely loved breathe, I thought Resist just didn't quite hit the mark. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, and the twists and turns kept me engrossed in the story. My disappointment could have come from struggling with recalling what had happened previously making it harder for me to reconnect with some of the characters as fast as I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...