Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Review: The Rule of Thirds by Chantel Guertin


Title: The Rule of Thirds
Author: Chantel Guertin
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 1st October 2013

Tell Me About It
Sixteen-year-old Pippa Greene never goes anywhere without her camera. She and her best friend/supermodel-in-training Dace long ago mapped out their life plan: Pippa will be the noted fashion photographer, and Dace the cover girl. But ever since last spring, things have changed for Pippa—and her junior year at Spalding High proves to have its own set of challenges. Not only is Vantage Point, the statewide photography competition, in three short weeks, but her mandatory volunteering placement lands her at St. Christopher’s Hospital, a place Pippa never wanted to set foot in again. With humor and pluck, she navigates her new role as a candy striper (watch out for Code Yellows), her changing relationship with her best friend (goodbye, Honesty Pact), and—perhaps most stressful of all—her new love interests (yes, love interests plural). Will Pippa make it to Vantage Point without having a panic attack? Will either one of the guys prove less sketchy than her last boyfriend? Can she and Dace figure out a way to dream big and be best friends? One thing is certain: real life is a lot more complicated than a photograph.
My Thoughts
I had not heard of Chantel before, but when I spotted The Rule of Thirds on netgalley I knew it was something I wanted to read.
The protagonist of The Rule of Thirds is Pippa Greene, photo editor of the school newspaper and president of the photo club.  She is also entering into a photography competition to win five grand and go to Tisch Camp.

The Rule of Thirds has a lot of pieces to the story, that all seem to blend well and keep you guessing over what is happening.  To make it easier to keep track for you I will make a list of all the pieces.
*The competition which is the main focus for Pippa.
* Ben Baxtor, fellow photography student and also wanting to enter the competition.
* Volunteer service for school at a hospital where Pippa is a candy striper, and this also brings back some bad memories for her.
* Dylan, who Pippa see's at hospital but is also hiding something himself.
* Students have items stolen from lockers, homes etc and Pippa is tasked with helping search for the missing items and the suspect.

I know written down, the above list doesn't really make sense and you are probably wondering how it all fits together so well, to be honest I don't know how Chantel has done it myself, but she has worked some serious writer magic and has made The Rule of Thirds an enjoyable read that really draws you in.

Through some parts of The Rule of Thirds I felt sorry for Pippa for what she has to face and deal with.  When she hands in her entries for the competition my heart broke for what happened but as she makes progress I cheered her on, wanting her to keep going. Nothing gets her down and I like how she is a fighter, when something doesn't go her way she comes back fighting.

The characters in The Rule of Thirds were not only realistic, but also believable, and that only helped me fall into the pages of the book and not come up for air till I had finished.  They face everyday teenager problems, and Pippa also faces her personal demons, for that alone I have a lot of admiration for her.  It's not something I think I would have been able to do myself.
My only issue with the book is that we didn't get to see some of the fantastically described photographs that are taken, and I think it would have been a nice touch to see a few of them sporadically throughout the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...