Thursday, 24 October 2013

Review: This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales


Title: This Song Will Save Your Life
Author: Leila Sales
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 10th October 2013

Tell Me About It
All her life, Elise Dembowski has been an outsider. Starting a new school, she dreams of fitting in at last – but when her best attempts at popularity fail, she almost gives up. Then she stumbles upon a secret warehouse party. There, at night, Elise can be a different person, making real friends, falling in love for the first time, and finding her true passion – DJ’ing.
But when her real and secret lives collide, she has to make a decision once and for all: just who is the real Elise?

My Thoughts
I had heard of This Song Will Save Your Life around the blogosphere, with a lot of great things said about it. When were asked to tweet about a song that meant something to us I did not hesitate, and some tweets would earn a copy of This Song Will Save Your Life.

Fast forward to a few weeks after and I had the fantastic surprise to receive a copy of This Song Will Save Your Life in the post. I finally got around to reading it on the way to London at the weekend, so while I did make some notes, I wasn't as thorough as usual.

Elsie Dembowski is the protagonist of This Song Will Save Your Life, she is a loner and has no real friends, even more so after previous events.
"I didn't need to be the most exciting, beautiful, beloved girl in the world. I just needed not to be me anymore."
Her parents are divorced and while she divides her time between both houses her parents aren't really there for her like they should be, they are too focused on their own lives and family. It's at her Mum's house were she meets Pippa and Vicky while on a walk, and they introduce her to Start, and the DJ Char.

From the minute I began reading I was hooked, and I think this is the fastest I have ever read a book of this length before, I finished it with at least half an hour to spare on the journey. This Song Will Save Your Life has a way of drawing you into the world Leila has created, and falling hopelessly in love with the characters. The characters are teenagers, and although they are obviously set in this time period, their whole attitude remind me so much of a lot of teenagers when I was younger (which was a while ago). It was easy to believe them and actually feel like you are part of the story, Elsie especially has a way of tugging on your heart and you just want everything to work out for her, even if it is just to be able to say she has a real friend.

As This Song Will Save Your Life progresses I enjoyed getting to see how Pippa and Vicky welcomed Elsie into their small friendship and treated her like she was one of them, even though her clothing itself makes her stand out like a sore thumb. When things turn nasty between Pippa and Elsie, Vicky is still there to stand with Elsie and be her friend, I loved the shopping trip they went on and how Vicky helps Elsie see the real person inside, and not what she thinks others want to see.

This Song Will Save Your Life is not a light fluffy read, there are serious issues talked about, bullying, self harm, and self doubt, and I felt so sorry for how Elsie sees herself, she constantly puts herself down, and I think this is part of the reason she fell heard fist for Char as he is possibly the first person to show some affection to her. While I do think he is an ass for stringing Elsie along, it is also thanks to him that Elsie finds something that she loves to do, and eventually it makes a dream a reality for her. Seeing Elsie realise she has changed for herself, and not for others was a heart-lifting experience for all involved and I was so happy to see the tables turned on her.

This Song Will Save Your Life is the second book I have read by Leila, and while I wasn't too impressed with the first book, This Song Will Save Your Life has definitely changed my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I love it when books include bullying. It makes the books so much more realistic and relatable. This Song Will Save Your Life will definitely be on my to buy list. Thanks for the great review.

    Holly @ Absorbing the Content

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...