Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Review: Transparent by Natalie Whipple


Title: Transparent
Author: Natalie Whipple
Author Info: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Transparent #1
Source: Blogger Event
Publication Date: 16th May 2013

Tell Me About It
High school is hard when you're invisible.

Fiona McClean hates her family, has had to move to a new school and seems to be completely invisible to the boy she likes. So far so normal, right? But Fiona really is invisible. She doesn't even know what colour her own hair is.

Born into a world where Cold War anti-radiation pills have caused genetic mutations, Fiona is forced to work for her mind-controlling mobster father as the world's most effective thief. When her father announces she must become a murdering assassin, Fiona and her telekinetic mother make a break for freedom. Running to a small Arizonian town, Fiona finds that playing at 'normal life' with a mother on the edge, a brother she can't trust, and a boy who drives her crazy is as impossible as escaping her father.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Transparent it has still yet to be picked up over here.  When Hot Key Books picked it up I was excited, and when we received a copy for review at a blogger event I was ridiculously excited and wanted to make a start on it as soon as possible.  However my plans were put to a screeching halt when I have other commitments with review books I had requested.  Fast forward to August, and two weeks off work gave me the chance to make a huge dent in my review pile, and allow me to tackle some books from blogger events, Transparent being one of them.  While I wish I had read this a lot sooner, I am also glad I left it so late as it means I don't have a huge wait to read the next book.

Imagine being invisible, you would have no bad hair days, no blushing face to show embarrassment, no one to say you are ugly.  But it also comes with a bad side, no one can say your beautiful, you don't know your own eye colour, your hair colour, or what you even look like or which parent you take after.  Thanks to Radiasure, a drug made by Fiona's Dad, and also cause of her invisibility, Fiona has to deal with this every single day.  Instead of dressing to show off her features, she has to dress in a way that allows others to see where she is, where her arms are and where her eyes are.
To top it all off her Dad only wants her for her invisibility, using her to sneak into places and steal, so given the first chance she gets, Fiona plans her escape with her Mum, moving to a quiet town and trying to act like a normal teenager, which involves going to school.

The minute I began reading Transparent I was hooked, I fell head first into the pages and reluctantly came up for food, and work, and sleep.  The world Natalie has created is a mixture of two worlds, a normal world as we know it, with superhuman powers like flight, voice throwing, and strong arms thrown in.  I love how these two world blend together so seamlessly and while the cover of the book makes it all look happy and fun, there is also a dark side.  Fiona is constantly on edge, worrying her Father will come and find her and take her back home, or that he will hurt her new friends.  Several times she goes into hiding, literally, and when we discover another person powers this made me laugh, a lot.
With all the worry though, Fiona is never alone, and she makes some great friends in the school that not only have her back, but also welcome her into their small group with open arms.  They all have unique powers themselves, and I loved getting to see what each one had and how it worked.
Reading Transparent I never knew what would happen, and add that with Fiona's worry made this book a real page turner, I wanted to know how it would all end and what would happen, not only with Fiona's family, but also with her new friendships.  When I sadly reached the end of the book I loved the ending and thought it was perfect, and I really like how another person power helped Fiona accept her own slightly, I may have cried happy tears over this revelation.

Transparent is a must read and I am counting down the days for the release of Blindsided, I have to know what happens next for Fiona.

2 comments:

  1. Aw the revelation made me a little teary eyed, too. I loved this one so much!!! The characters were awesome and I loved all their different powers. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of this is so cool! Must get my hands on a copy. I like that the sequel is out soon too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...