Thursday, 14 November 2013

Review: MetaWars by Jeff Norton


Title: MetaWars
Author: Jeff Norton
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: MetaWars #1
Source: Author
Publication Date: 2nd August 2012

Tell Me About It
In an unforgiving future, two warring factions - the MILLENIALS and the GUARDIANS - are locked in a brutal battle over control of an online virtual world called the Metasphere. Jonah Delacroix has always known which side he's on - the same side as his dead father. But when he assumed his father's avatar, he learns that things aren't as black and white as he once believed. He's catapulted into a full-throttle race through both worlds - but can he find the truth?

MetaWars : Fight for the Future is the first installment in a fantastic futuristic adventure series with fast-paced, cinematic narrative. Set in the near future MetaWars suggest a fascinating - but also scary - prediction of what might be to come, covering already topical issues such as fuel shortage, climate change and economic meltdown.
My Thoughts
I want to say this first, I am in love with this cover. I love how it portrays both worlds, the real world and the virtual world, the Metasphere. Seeing the stark reality of how these worlds differ from each other made it so much easier to picture the struggle humans have that live and then chose to work in the real world, and how vastly different it is from our own world we live in now, but also what our world could become.

Now that's out of the way I can get on with my review. I have no idea how MetaWars passed me by on its publication, and the following publications of the next two books in the series, I have now rectified this problem and I am awaiting the delivery of book two and three to my house.

The minute I picked up MetaWars I was hooked, I was immediatley drawn into the action in the middle of a race and a bombing (so there's no quiet introduction) but this is what made the book stand out, it grabbed hold and I had to keep reading, I had to know what was going to happen next. As I got the end of the first few chapters MetaWars reminded me of a few books I had previously read, with a similar type of future Earth, and just like them I devoured every page of MetaWars. I hung on every single word I read.

The synopsis of MetaWars does not do it justice, yes there is futuristic fighting, and downloading other avatars (which is very illegal and can get you banned from the Metasphere) and wars fought on both sides of the Earth, normal and virtual. There are so many layers to MetaWars, but while there is a lot going on, it doesn't feel overwhelming at all, and each tiny speck of detail only adds to the book. I loved the descriptions of not only the world, but also the characters and the avatars, it actually feels like you can shut your eyes and picture this game, this world, playing right in front of you.

I fell head first into the world Jeff has created and I reluctantly put the book down when I had reached the end. If my book hadn't been signed I would have lent it out to my brother, instead he will just have to hear from me how much I enjoyed MetaWars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...