Saturday, 9 November 2013

Review: The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Title: The Naturals
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 5th November 2013

Tell Me About It
Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides— especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.

Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.
My Thoughts
I have enjoyed Jennifer's previous work, and when I saw The Naturals on netgalley I was intrigued, when I read the synopsis I knew I had to read it, and put in a request not really thinking I would be accepted as it's a Disney-Hyperion book. So when I got the email saying I had been accepted I was more than a little shocked....but also very excited at the same time.
The Naturals is a book that is hard for me to fit into a genre, it's a thriller, mystery,  but also has hints of paranormal, and while it may be hard for me to fit it into a genre, it definitely gets my mind whirring. The Naturals are people who have a natural ability at something. Cassie has the ability to read people, as does Dean. Michael has the ability to read emotions, Sloane is super amazing with numbers and facts, Lia can detect lies. Cassie is recruited by an agent, moved away from her family under the pretence of attending a school better suited for her, and she is quickly drawn into a new world were her abilities can help solve crimes.

While The Naturals is told from Cassie's perspective, there are occasional chapters from the killer, we get to see their thoughts and their plans, but not any clue as to tell us what their identity is. The Naturals is a quick read but has the perfect amount of action and suspense to keep you engrossed, the right amount of mystery to keep you guessing but never too little. Everything in The Naturals is relevant to the plot and it's not added just for the sake of filling out the plot. My eyes were permanently glued to the pages wanting needing to know what would happen next and looking for the smallest hint to try to figure out the killer. The Naturals kept me on the edge of my seat, and as the plot thickened I found myself getting nervous, wondering what would happen next.

 I enjoyed every single page of The Naturals, and although I did not succeed in guessing who the killer was, it wasn't till they actually revealed themselves that Cassie discovered who it was herself, so I don't feel too useless. I would love to see this world expanded with more books, even focusing on the other characters to see their abilities the main focus of a plot.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review. :) You've made some excellent points about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one too - I absolutely LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...