Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Review: The Unseen by J.L. Bryan


Title: The Unseen
Author: J.L. Bryan
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Author
Publication Date: 31st October 2013

Tell Me About It
Cassidy is a young tattoo artist living in the Little Five Points neighborhood of Atlanta. She’s always suffered terrible nightmares, and sometimes the hideous creatures seem to follow her out of her dreams and into her waking life, though she’s the only one who can see them. Drugs and alcohol can blot them out, but never entirely chase them away.

When a demonic cult begins to take control of the people in her life, including her younger brother, Cassidy discovers that the unseen world of monsters is very real. She can no longer avoid it. To protect those she loves, she must accept her own hidden supernatural talents and face the forces of evil before the sinister cult achieves its twisted goals and casts the world into darkness.
My Thoughts
I am a big fan on J.L. Bryan's books, and while I have a few waiting to be read on my kindle I have really enjoyed what I have read so far. When I received an email asking if I would like a review copy of The Unseen it was an easy answer, and a few weeks later I found myself in the possession of a copy of The Unseen.
Cassidy is the protagonist of The Unseen, when she was younger herself and a few friends had a disastrous event with ouja board, which resulted in the break up of this little group, and some of them turning to religion to find an answer to what transpired.
In the present, Cassidy is only friends with Barb. Cassidy tattoos as profession and spends rest of her time high or drunk to keep nightmares to a minimum and away from her real life. Cassidy sees transparent creepy creatures in her dreams and also when she isn't drunk or high....and some of them sound pretty gruesome, like a millipede one which definitely gave me goosebumps.

While The Unseen has Cassidy as the protagonist, we also get to hear Peyton, Cassidy's boyfriend, and Kieran, Cassidy's brother, voices and see what is happening from their perspective and while you think Cassidy has a pretty freaky life, once things start to get serious I think Peyton beats it with what happens to him.

The Unseen is different from the previous books I have read by J.L Bryan but I enjoyed the change in genre. I went into The Unseen knowing it was going to be different, I just didn't realise how different it would be, and I mean that in a great way. The Unseen isn't exactly a quick read but not once did I get bored or distracted, it has a mix of magic, demons and so much more, and it all blends together to make a truly gripping read. The Unseen keeps you guessing over what will happen next, with twists and turns and a lot of unexpected events. After finishing The Unseen it reminds me once again I really need to finish my other books on my kindle by J.L. Bryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...