Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Blog Tour: Twelve Days of Falling


Today I am super excited to share with you an excerpt from The Art of Falling as part of the Twelve Days of Falling blog tour. I have already read and loved this book and I can't wait to see what you think of it.

Hi Michelle!

Happy Christmas Eve and thanks for having me! THE ART OF FALLING is definitely a romance and I loved writing those scenes, but I also loved the friendships. Bria wouldn’t be who she is without her girlfriends, so today I’m sharing a scene with Bria and her best friend, Abby. It’s a moment when Bria is really confronting her public image and her boots are very much a symbol of that image.

Photobucket

“Where’s my coffee?” Abby said. She sat on the trunk of her Civic, futzing with her makeup.
“Did you actually get here early?” Bria asked, throwing her bag into the back seat and handing over a steaming travel mug.
“I rushed to get here so you wouldn’t be late. Thin ice with your dad and Principal Erikson and all that.” She settled into the driver’s seat. “Don’t you see how I rushed my hair?”
“Not really.”
Abby narrowed her eyes. “You look different today. I totally get the no hoodie thing, which since it’s wicked hot, but seriously. What’s up?”
Bria flipped down the visor and peered at her reflection while Abby backed down the driveway. “I don’t know. I guess I’m sick of being me.”
“Okkkkaaaay.” Abby drew out the word and raised her eyebrow. “You know you’re kind of awesome, right?”
“Maybe not me, me, but the image everyone else sees. The hair and the makeup and the boots. Do you know how heavy these things are? I wore flip flops the other day and they were like heaven.”
“So, major identity crisis. I get it.”
Bria slammed the visor back up against the roof of the car. “Do you?”
Abby turned down the stereo. “Do you know why I obsess over stupid crap like my hair and makeup? Because I’m terrified of the day I have to start caring about real stuff. I am scared shitless. There’s no way I’m ready to be a grown up. I get it.”
“I don’t know what I’m doing any more.” She buried her head in her hands.
“What do you mean?” Abby jerked her head around. “Did something happen with Pratt? Your portfolio?”
“Eyes on the road,” Bria said, gripping her seat.
“Sorry.” The school came into view and she slowed down.
“I don’t know if I want Pratt any more,” Bria said. “And not just because the portfolio review is freaking me out. I just can’t put my soul on display for people to come and pass judgment on it any more.”
“Where is this coming from?”
Abby parked and Bria unclicked her seatbelt, swiveling to face her. “I don’t know. Talking with Ben, I guess.”
“God, Bri. Really?” Abby crossed her arms.
“Why can’t we all hang out like we used to? Why do we have to fit into these stupid little molds we make for ourselves? It’s all so claustrophobic.”
“Ben’s my big brother and even I think he’s an idiot.”
“And that’s my point.” Bria popped open the car door and grabbed her bag. The warm sun kissed her bare shoulders and she sighed, letting the rays soak into her skin.
“What are you guys doing to each other anyway?” Abby said, hurrying to catch up.
“What do you mean?” She dug around in her bag for a pencil to hold her hair up.
“He came home yesterday looking all gutted. Ben has never looked like that in his life. He walked out of the womb knowing what he wants and how to get it. I get to be all moody and unpredictable, not him. That’s the deal.”
“Sorry.”
“What happened?”
“I don’t know. Maybe the guys on the team gave him a hard time about missing practice. Jake Moreno seemed pretty worked up about it.”
Abby leaned against the locker next to Bria’s and shot her a look. “Yeah. Because he was with you.”

Photobucket



For seventeen-year-old Bria Hale, image is everything. She’s a militant vegan with purple hair, Doc Martens and a permanent scowl. Kissing captain of the football team Ben Harris? Definitely not part of that image.

Now with each secret kiss, she’s falling deeper for the boy every girl at Oceanside High is crushing on. Throw in a few forbidden bacon cheeseburgers and she’s facing one major identity crisis.

Ignoring Ben should be easy, but when a flashy display of artistic spirit lands her in close quarters after hours with the boy she’s too cool to like, she can’t keep pretending those kisses meant nothing. With her reputation and her heart on a collision course, Bria must either be true to herself or to the persona she’s spent all of high school creating.

Purchase links: Amazon - Amazon UK - Barnes & Noble

About Jenny
Raised in Avon, Ohio, the duct tape capital of the world, Jenny began her writing career as a featured columnist for her hometown newspaper. After earning a degree in photojournalism from Kent State University, she vowed to never spend another winter in Ohio and moved to Los Angeles, where there is far too much sunshine.
Amid working as a grant writer for Sound Art, a non-profit that teaches music in inner-city neighborhoods, and raising two kids, Jenny decided to do something with all the snippets of stories she wrote during microeconomics and began writing for young adults. She likes her heroines smart and quirky, her heroes nice, and her kisses sweet. Her debut, THE ART OF FALLING, is coming from Bloomsbury Spark in Winter 2013.
Apart from writing, Jenny is still an avid photographer, loves music despite no discernable musical talent and reads the dictionary for fun. She lives near Los Angeles with her husband, son and daughter. The four of them are always looking for their adventure.

Find Jenny online:
TwitterFacebookBlogPinterestGoodreads


Make sure to enter this fabulous giveaway below
a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...