Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Review: The Sound of Us by Ashley Poston


Title: The Sound of Us
Author: Ashley Poston
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Radio Hearts #1
Source: Publisher via netgalley widget
Publication Date: 19th December 2013

Tell Me About It
America's favorite pop band, Roman Holiday, is done, dead, and so totally last year. For eighteen-year-old rockoholic Junie Baltimore, this is music to her ears. But when she discovers their sexy ex-lead singer hiding out on the boardwalk, her summer vacation becomes the cover story of the year.

She's willing to keep him a secret, but when a sleazy paparazzo offers her the cash she needs to save the bar her father left behind, could she sell out for the chance to save her future? Who is she kidding? That's a no-brainer...but she never planned on falling head over heels for the lead singer.

My Thoughts
When I saw the cover for The Sound of Us I was instantly drawn to it, and after reading the synopsis, I knew I wanted to read it. The cover is eye catching and looks like the book could be a fun read, and it fits perfectly with the synopsis.
The protagonist of The Sound of Us is Junie, she 'works' at The Lining, her Father's bar that she has taken over in the running of it in the attempt to keep it standing after his passing. Leaving behind The Lining, Maggie, her best friend, and Caspian, her hook up, she goes on an unwanted vacation with her Mum and Step Dad, and her life as she knows it will never be the same after meting Roman Montgomery, lead singer of the broken up band, Roman Holiday.

The Sound of Us was an enjoyable, light read. The protagonist was easy to relate to. She has a unique personality and a hair style to match. I like how she is determined to keep the bar running, whether she is legal or not, how the workers are like family and how things remind her of her Dad.
Roman and Boaz were hilarious together, and I do think that occasionally Boaz outshone Roman with his spunky attitude and the words he spouted out of his mouth, but Roman was also very unassuming and blends into the background sometimes, which is understandable if you're trying to hide from the world.

The Sound of Us was full of a lot of emotional parts. I cried over the loss of Junie's Dad, but also laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. One of my favourite parts was Plan B, a plan that Maggie, Junie's best friend, and Junie had planned from a young age, it definitely made me laugh as well as causing a distraction like it was intended to.  Junie is unexpectedly thrown into the spotlight, and I think she handles it considerably well, I loved getting to see her form a friendship with Boaz and Roman, even though they do lead her astray on occasion.

As The Sound of Us neared the end I enjoyed seeing how the past connected, but also how the present unfolded. The surprise for Junie from the employees of The Lining has got to be the best surprise ever, and it was something I did not see happening, I imagined the ending to turn out a different way. While the book didn't really end like I expected, it ended suddenly and I guess I wanted to see more of what happened next, I am looking forward to seeing what comes next in this series, will we get to follow the same characters or will we get to see other characters stories.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the book is as good as the cover! Cant wait to read this :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...