Thursday, 26 December 2013

Review: Watch Over Me by Tara Sivec


Title: Watch Over Me
Author: Tara Sivec
Author Info: Blog|Twitter
Genre: New Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 7th November 2013

Tell Me About It
Addison Snow is your typical teenager. She has a family that loves her, friends that make her laugh, and she's wrapped up in the excitement of graduating high school and going off to college to pursue her dream of becoming an author. When her mother, who also happens to be Addison's best friend, dies unexpectedly, her world comes to a crashing halt.

Death changes everyone...

To make the pain go away, Addison and her father travel down separate, dark paths. She chooses to end her grief forever, while he drowns his sorrows in the bottom of a bottle. How do you learn to live again when the most important person in your life is gone?

Addison struggles to pick up the pieces of her life. Instead of getting back to being the carefree teenager she once was, she's stuck handling all of the responsibilities that should have been her father's. She has no time to grieve, no time for emotions, and no time for happiness...until Zander Reinhardt walks in. All it takes is one little handwritten note on a napkin to kick-start her back to life and help her realize that maybe there's more to that life than pain.

But can it really be that simple? Can she really trust this man who makes her feel alive again for the first time in a year?

Addison and Zander both have secrets they aren't ready to share. When the truth finally comes out, is it enough to tear them apart or has something bigger than themselves always been watching over them, pushing them together, making sure they both get their happily ever after?

My Thoughts
What initially drew me to Watch Over Me was the cover (yes I do judge books by their covers) then once I had read the synopsis I knew it was a book I wanted to read. Before I began reading I didn't really know what the story was about, only what the synopsis tells us, and when I opened the first page and saw the dedication I was hesitant to start it. If I had known what some of the story of Watch Over Me was about I probably would not have requested this book at this moment in my life. Having just lost my own Dad through the same thing as Addison's Mum, this book had the potential to hit too close to home, and make my unable to read it.

The protagonist Addison, has lost her Mother to cancer, and her Father to alcohol. With continuous stints in rehab doing nothing to stop this addiction, Addison no longer has the energy to care what he now does, instead all her energy is now focused in Snow's Sugary Sweets, a bakery that her Mum set up and ran as her own business. Watch Over Me follows Addison as she tries to get over her past mistake, and live each day as it comes, not getting too close to anyone in case she loses them too. It also follows Addison as she visits a therapist to talk about what she did, and what she should try to do now, with each new chapter giving us a glimpse at these sessions and aims for Addison to do.

Addison has one person who she is not necessary close to, but someone who shares her pain, Meg her co-worker, and someone who gives Addison the push to make things less sucky. She is the light for both of them, and certainly made me laugh at some of the things she says, whether she was right in saying them or not.
....Money would be nice. I used to work in a daycare, but they sent me an email yesterday telling me that I'm no longer good role model material for the children. Um, hello? Suicidal here! That could have totally pushed me over the edge and they don't even care.
[Meg to Addison, location 213 of 2095, kindle edition]

Every single page of Watch Over Me draws you in, not only physically but emotionally, and I had this finished in a couple of hours. While the basis of this story is the after effects of Addison's Mum's death, it focuses on Addison in her life now, as she tries to get over a past mistake and learn to live again, but also looks at her relationship with her estranged Father.
We get to see her find herself and learn to accept the friendship and love that others offer her with no expectations back. One of these is from Zander, who also has his own history that he doesn't share until caught out. I love how he is there for Addison as a friend, he supports her and makes her smile again, and I loved the little touches of the note he leave and how they are added into the story itself. As pieces of him are revealed, and slip ups are made from family members I did put the pieces together and come up with the truth, but even though I knew what it was I was still surprised when the full truth was revealed, but also saddened at how it came about.

Everything about Watch Over Me is done in a tasteful way that in no way at all makes you feel uncomfortable, and while I had initially worried about the story and had prepared myself for it I was happy to be able to read this book without becoming too upset or unable to continue.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the review and I'm so glad you enjoyed Watch Over Me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...