Friday, 17 January 2014

Review: The Girl and The Raven by Pauline Gruber


Title: The Girl and The Raven
Author: Pauline Gruber
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Author
Publication Date: 15th December 2013

Tell Me About It
Good versus evil just got complicated.

Sixteen-year-old Lucy Walker just wants a normal life, until she learns she is half-witch, half-demon. Now she's got other problems, like keeping her demon dad from killing her boyfriend, keeping the witches in her life from killing her demon dad, and keeping her non-supernatural friends safe from both sides. All the while she’s desperately searching for the family raven that carries her magical legacy. She's walking a tightrope between good and evil, drawn to both, uncertain which she will ultimately choose.
My Thoughts
I was approached by author to review this book, so I took a look inside on amazon and when I had finished reading I had to know more, so I replied with a yes and quickly found myself in possession of this book.
The Girl and The Raven begins quickly with Lucy, the protagonist, finding her Mum dead and is sent to live with her Uncle Bernard, and Sheldon. Above them lives Persephone, Lucy's friend from when she visited her Grandmother, and the mysterious brothers, Aiden and Marcus.

The Girl and The Raven follows Lucy as she settles into a new home, a new school, and learns about her family history. At times I felt sorry for Lucy, having to deal with a whole new way of life is strange and takes a lot of getting used to, and at times she portrays the feeling of being lost and alone, even though she is surrounded by family and friends...however some of the girls from her new circle of friends are far too self centred and I wanted to slap some brain cells into them, some of the boys are just as bad.
Dylan was one of them and I never really felt like I could trust him 100%, and when Lucy was determined to help him I had to question her reasoning and judgement, even though she wants to do good for him as it's the type of person she is, I would not have gone to the lengths she did. As more about Dylan is revealed I did begin to warm to him as he slowly wormed his way into my good books by the way he acts..

One thing that kept me reading The Girl and The Raven were the twists and turns throughout the book. Just when I thought that everything had been revealed something new was added to the mix, adding a new twist and making me reconfigure my thoughts ans assumptions, adding in this new detail and trying to figure it out myself. The last few chapters of The Girl and The Raven did not hold back on anything, and not only were more secrets revealed but my opinions changed completely on what I thought of the characters. I could not finish the book fast enough, needing to know what was going to happen and worrying over what would happen to the characters involved.

The Girl and The Raven was a quick read, and while it doesn't reach my list of all time top favourite books, I definitly enjoyed it and would love to see more from this world and see what the characters get up to next.

About Pauline
Pauline Gruber is a self-professed music junkie, cat wrangler and daytripper. She wrote her first book in seventh grade about a trio of competitive cat siblings and won an award for it. Fast forward to 1992 when she took a trip to Paris with her aunt where she discovered a love of three things: travel, croissants and old cathedrals, especially those featuring gargoyles. Twenty years later, she translates her fascination with gargoyles into an extraordinarily suspenseful love story. Pauline lives outside of Chicago with her precocious black cats.

Website - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...