Thursday, 9 January 2014

Review: Imposter by Susanne Winnacker


Title: Imposter
Author: Susanne Winnacker
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Variants #1
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 2nd January 2014

Tell Me About It
Tessa is a Variant with extraordinary abilities. She could be a hero, but all she wants to do is fall in love ...

Tessa is a Variant, able to absorb the DNA of anyone she touches and mimic their appearance. Shunned by her family, she's spent the last two years with the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities, a secret branch of the FBI. There she trains with other Variants, such as long-term crush Alec, who each have their own extraordinary ability.

When a serial killer rocks a small town in Oregon, Tessa is given a mission: she must impersonate Madison, a local teen, to find the killer before he strikes again. Tessa hates everything about being an impostor - the stress, the danger, the deceit - but loves playing the role of a normal girl. As Madison, she finds friends, romance, and the kind of loving family she'd do anything to keep.

Amid action, suspense, and a ticking clock, this super-human comes to a very human conclusion: even a girl who can look like anyone struggles the most with being herself.
My Thoughts
I have had my eye on Imposter since I first saw the USA edition, so when it was picked up by a UK publisher I was super excited.

Variants are people who have an ability, there are a variety of different abilities such as telekinesis, strength, speed, invisibility, etc. Tessa's ability is one that people would do a lot to get hold of, she can absorb the DNA of others and literally become that person, letting her body change to take on that persons apperence and DNA. Tessa and the other Variant's she works with are part of the FEA, Forces with Extra Abilities, a secret branch in the FBI.

Imposter was a relatively quick read for me, and once I had the time to sit and read without work getting in the way, I found myself speeding through the pages, wanting to know what was going to happen. I like how Imposter is told from a first person point of view, letting us look into Tessa's mind as she pretends to be another person, but also experience her changes as she goes through them. Although seeing all this through Tessa's eyes makes us closer to her, it also allows us to feel the sadness, and really see how tough it is for her. At some points in the book I felt so sorry for her having to go through this ordeal and pretend to be someone who she isn't, I just wanted to take her away form the situation and make it all better for her, to erase what she has seen and experienced.

I really like the characters in Imposter, the different personalities and appearances. I like how Holly has formed a good friendship with Tessa, and while she does encourage Tessa to do a few wrong things, I like how supportive and positive she is towards Tessa. I also liked Tanner and I would have liked to see a bit more of him in Imposter. Devon was another person who I liked, while he is mysterious and doesn't really share much of himself, I like how he treats Tessa, even though he does suspect something, and his determination to find out what happened.

Imposter was a book that kept me guessing over what was going to happen next. The subtle hints about others appearances had me going from one character to another, trying to pin them down as the suspect. When the suspect was finally revealed I wasn't too surprised, and while I did guess wrong, one of my 'possible suspects' had their own secret to share.

One of the main parts of Tessa's life is Alec, who has some history with Tessa but it's not elaborated on until much later on in the book. Seeing how he was hot and cold with Tessa annoyed me, and I found myself wanting to knock some sense into him and tell him to get his act together. His relationship with Kate causes tension between this friendship, and is also a cause for the hot and cold towards Tessa, and while my mind was jumping to reasons for this tension, when their history is revealed it wasn't what I thought it would be. Kate, Alec's girlfriend, does not like Tessa and Alec's friendship, and I wanted to know why and get a better insight to it, especially as Tessa and Alec's bond wasn't a relationship type bond. I think this was possibly the only thing I did not like about Imposter, that this issue that continues throughout Imposter, wasn't elaborated on more.

About Susanne
Susanne Winnacker studied law before she became a full-time writer. She lives with her husband, a dog and three bunnies in Germany. She loves coffee (in every shape and form), traveling and animals.
When she isn't writing, you can usually find her in the kitchen, experimenting with new vegan dishes.
Her YA thriller IMPOSTOR will be published on May 28, 2013. It has been optioned for TV by Warner Brothers!
I don't read messages on Goodreads. If you want to contact me, please send me an email to this address: books(at)susannewinnacker(dot)com

Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...