Thursday, 2 January 2014

Review: Masquerade by Nyrae Dawn


Title: Masquerade
Author: Nyrae Dawn
Genre: New Adult
Series: Games #3
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 7th January 2014

Tell Me About It
A biker. A tattoo artist. A love to last a lifetime.

Maddox Cross has always had to be tough. When his father went to jail for murder, the teenager took care of his sister and mother. Now on his own and working security at a night club, Maddox wants to become a tattoo artist-a dream that comes closer to reality when he falls for the hottest, most tatted woman he's ever seen. She's wild and beautiful, and Maddox will do anything to be with her.

Bee Malone came to town to open up her new tattoo parlor, Masquerade. Since being kidnapped as a young girl, Bee has had trouble getting close to anyone. But when she meets Maddox, she sees that under his hard biker's body is the sensitive soul of an artist. What starts out as a sizzling one-night stand soon becomes so much more.

Bee wants Maddox to join her tattoo business, but letting him into her life means revealing all her most intimate secrets. And as the past begins to intertwine with her present, Bee fears their love may not be as permanent as their ink . . .
My Thoughts
I was late to pick up this series, so I thankfully didn't have to wait too long to read Facade, and thanks to netgalley I was able to read Masquerade a few months after. The minute Masquerade was on my iPad I did not wait, I stopped what I was reading and began Masquerade, and within a few hours I was finished. This has to be my favourite book out of this series and I think I love Bee and Maddox more than the others.

Bee has some serious history to get over, and while we get hints straight away about what has happened, but we are told the whole story pretty quickly into the book, and it's heartbreaking and sad. While it's mentioned in the synopsis it doesn't really give you all the details of what happened.
Maddox was someone who I recognised but couldn't think of why, when he mentions his sister I got the connection and already knowing some of his past made it easier to understand his feelings and emotions.

The sexual tension between Bee and Maddox is quick to flare, but they refuse do more than the occasional hook up, I just wanted them to get together and get down to business. The title Masquerade,is very fitting, not only for the tattoo shop but also for both Maddox and Bee, the masquerade that they are putting up to keep others away from them, pretending to be something they are not. Keeping themselves hidden away from family, not letting them know the real person behind the fa├žade.
I really liked getting to see the other characters from the previous books and seeing how they play a role, not only in the pages of Masquerade, but also in the developing friendships.

I know this review of Masquerade is kinda vague, but also for good reasons. Once I began reading I literally did not stop for anything, not even to take notes and I stayed up till the early hours reading this book so my review is based on memory and not that much attention to the details. I also did not want to spoil what happens in Masquerade without spoiling it for others.

[Author photo from website]
About Nyrae
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...