Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Review: Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder


Title: Taste of Darkness
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Healer #3
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Harlequin UK
Publication Date: 3rd January 2014

Tell Me About It
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?

Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat. The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.
My Thoughts
I have been looking forward to reading Taste of Darkness since I finished Scent of Magic, but I have also been nervous about reading it too, partly as it's the last book in the series and I did not want it to end, but also after the ending in previous book I wasn't ready to face the reality of the situation.
Taste of darkness was a big book, with over 400 pages to read, but the minute I began reading I could not stop, and quickly devoured every page. This review is going to be vague for two reasons, the first reason is I don't want to spoil what happens, the second reason is this is written on memory alone, Taste of Darkness was my reading material on a trip to London and I didn't take notes whilst reading.

Taste of Darkness quickly grabs hold and pulls you back into the world, even though it has been a while since I read the previous book, I had no problems getting back into this world and remembering what had happened. After the first few pages I didn't want to believe what had happened, that what I had read didn't really happen, but unfortunately for myself and for Avry, it really happened, and my heart broke all over again.
Taste of Darkness is packed full of action, with more secrets than I ever could have imagined, and new problems arising all the time. The threat of danger is constantly hanging over their heads, every corner they turn brings a new enemy or problem to face and defeat. The plot is perfectly paced, there is never a moment where you are bored or left to wonder, but there is never too much going on to distract you from what is really happening. The characters in this book have to face a lot of their own fears, especially Flea, who I really felt sorry for, they have to push themselves to the limits, physically, mentally, and ability wise.

Taste of Darkness was much more than I expected and I was shocked at some things that happened. I love how seamlessly the events all blend together, leading from one to the other without a hitch. I loved getting to catch up with the characters that feel like old friends, and seeing some old faces return. While I wish that Taste of Darkness wasn't the final book, I do think it ended perfectly.

About Maria
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been happily sharing her knowledge with the current crop of MFA students. She also enjoys creating new worlds where horses and swords rule, 'cause let's face it, they're cool, although she's been known to trap her poor characters in a giant metal cube and let them figure out how to get out. Readers are welcome to check out her website for book excerpts, free short stories, maps, blog, and her schedule at http://www.MariaVSnyder.com

Website - Blog - Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I'd say this is definitely a good conclusion......... Avry owned this book alright!

    great review..... this cover is so pretty
    do check mine too here

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...