Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Author Interview & Review: Rome by Jay Crownover


Title: Rome
Author: Jay Crownover
Genre: New Adult
Series: Marked Men #3
Source: Purchased by myself
Publication Date: 2nd January 2014

Tell Me About It
Cora Lewis is a whole lot of fun, and she knows how to keep her tattooed bad boy friends in line. But all that flash and sass hide the fact that she’s never gotten over the way her first love broke her heart. Now she has a plan to make sure that never happens again: She’s only going to fall in love with someone perfect.
Rome Archer is as far from perfect as a man can be. He’s stubborn and rigid, he’s bossy and has come back from his final tour of duty fundamentally broken. Rome’s used to filling a role: big brother, doting son, super soldier; and now none of these fit anymore. Now he’s just a man trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life while keeping the demons of war and loss at bay. He would have been glad to suffer it alone, until Cora comes sweeping into his life and becomes the only color on his bleak horizon.
Perfect isn’t in the cards for these two, but imperfect might just last forever . . .
My Thoughts
I was pretty late in finding Rule, and I only read it as I mistakenly accepted Jet from netgalley not knowing it was the second book. While I wasn't too impressed with Rule, I did enjoy Jet, so when I found out the next book would be Rome and Cora's I knew I had to read it, and the wait for Rome to be published was a slow painful torture.

I love Cora, I love her spunky attitude, how possessive she is of the boys, and how easily she accepted Shaw and Ayden into her life. But when I began reading Rome I saw a different side to her, a more thoughtful and romantic side.
'I didn't do well as a leaf no longer attached to a tree. I needed roots, a foundation to grab on to, and when my perfect guy came along he was going to be so solidly planted it would take a hurricane to move him.'
Rome meanwhile has always remained a mystery to me, so I have been looking forward to hearing his side of the story. Getting into Rome's head was scary at some times, and I really just wanted to give him a big squishy hug to try and make things better for him...thankfully Cora has that sorted out so I don't feel as bad for leaving him to suffer. Seeing this duo in action was entertaining, but also something special to read, seeing how this tiny person can affect an ex soldier so much.

Rowdy actually surprised me in Rome, I know he has had a few shinning moments that made people get there act together, but I didn't really get an idea of who he was and what he was about. But in Rome he definitly has some great words of advice for Cora and lets us get a peak into his personal side.

I think Rome has to be my favourite book out of them all for now. Not only do we get to see all of the boys in a different light, but we also get to catch up with Shaw and Ayden, who I didn't realise I missed so much, especially with Ayden not having a big role in Rome.
The constant twists and surprises had me on the fence over how this would all end. A lot of things I didn't expect happened, but that only made me that much more desperate to keep reading and find out what was going to happen. The last few pages of Rome completely blew me away, it was a total shock and I am desperate to find out what happens next in the next instalment in this series.

I am now excited to share an interview with Jay for you. She was able to find time in her busy schedule to answer a few questions for me.
1) Lets get straight to the point, which boy, Rule, Jet, or Rome, is your favourite so far and why?
None of them are. They are all unique, all wonderful and complicated in their own way. I love all of them and hate all of them for different reasons. They are all a piece of me.

2) Now it’s all about the girls, who is your favourite, Shaw, Ayden, or Cora?
Ayden was my favourite to write. Cora was my favourite to watch fall in love and Shaw… well Shaw was the hardest for me to understand. Why would she love a guy that was such an ass for so long? But she’s a good soul. I love, love Nash’s lady and we meet Asa’s lady here pretty soon…she’s a riot.

3) Your characters are full of personality, and attitude. Are any parts of them based on people you know?
Oh I think the attitude is all me, and I like to think when you’re a fun and interesting person, fun and interesting people gravitate towards you. I’m sure there are shades of real people in all the characters I write.

4) I love each book for different reasons, which was your favourite one to write, and which was your hardest to write?
My favourite book to write isn’t part of the Marked Men series. It’ll be out this summer. Rome’s story was hard to tell, and Nash’s story had me in tears a lot. That’s a complicated question to answer because every book I have written took a part of my heart and soul to get it done.

5) Without spoiling anything from Rome, will we get to see the end of Cora and Rome’s surprise journey?
You’ll just have to keep reading to find out. Kind of like I did with the Archer family… I eventually bring things full circle and I don’t like loose ends - even if the book ends where other people think it should keep going!

6) The UK covers are vastly different to the USA covers, do you get a say in what they look like?
Not exactly. I mean I told them what colours to use for the girls and stuff, but the creative decision to go with something so different than the US covers was all the UK publisher. They have a different marketing plan over there and felt the girls and the softer covers would work better for it. I like that the covers are all soft and lovely and the stories inside are all hard and rough. It’s a great dichotomy.

7) I know from your website you have tattoos yourself, which was your first one, and how many do you have so far?
I have a really big angel and devil on my lower back - the devil totally looks like Tim Armstrong from his Rancid days. I got it when I was 16 and ridiculously in love with my first ever boyfriend. If it wasn’t so massive I would probably try and cover it up now, but oh well!
I have A LOT - way too many to count. I think I have just as much inked skin as un-inked.

8) I am looking forward to reading Nash, Rowdy, and Asa’s stories. I already know I’m going to need a whole box of tissues for Nash, what else do you advise the readers to have close at hand?
Oh I don’t know…a Pepsi? That’s what I usually have close at hand when I read or write!

About Jay
I'm supposed to share interesting details about myself so that my readers get to know me so here we go in no particular order: I'm an natural redhead even though I haven't seen my real hair colour in years, I'm a big fan of tattoos and have a half sleeve on either arm and various other pieces all over the place, I've been in the bar industry since I was in college and it has always offered interesting insight into how men and women interact with each other, I have 3 dogs that are all crazy, I live in Colorado and love the snow, I love music and in all reality wish I could be a rock star not a writer or a bartender but I have zero talent so there is that.
I love to write, love to read and all I'm interested in is a good story with interesting characters that make the reader feel something.

Website - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...