Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Review: Alice Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter


Title: Alice Through the Zombie Glass
Author: Gena Showalter
Genre: Fantasy
Series: White Rabbit Chronicles #2
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Mira Ink
Publication Date: 7th February 2014

Tell Me About It
Zombies stalk the night.
Forget blood and brains.
These monsters hunger for human souls.
Sadly, they've got mine...


Alice Bell has lost so much. Family. Friends. A home. She thought she had nothing else to give. She was wrong. After a new zombie attack, strange things begin to happen to her. Mirrors come to life, and the whispers of the dead assault her ears. But the worst? A terrible darkness blooms inside her, urging her to do very wicked things. She s never needed her team of zombie slayers more, but ultra bad-boy Cole Holland, the leader and her boyfriend, suddenly withdraws from her... from everyone. Now, with her best friend Kat at her side, Ali must kill the zombies, uncover Cole s secret and learn to fight the darkness.

But the clock is ticking...and if she fails at a single task, they're all doomed.
My Thoughts
I have been desperate to read Alice Through the Zombie Glass since I finished reading the first book in this series, Alice in Zombie Land and I wish I could have read this sooner than I actually did, and quicker than I actually have.

When I began reading Alice Through the Zombie Glass I was initially confused, but that was me not reading the note from Ali properly, once I realised my mistake I re-read the note again, and then dove back into the pages. One things that is quickly obvious is how stubborn Alice is, she is staying with Mr Ankh while waiting to sort out a new new house for herself and her Grandmother, but she refuses to be a burden or owe him anything, she refuses to eat his food, drink his drinks, and tidies up all of her mess. While this stubbornness is ridiculous when she is among friends who want to help her, it also comes in useful and is part of what is able to make her fight for as long as she does, and as hard as she does.

As the book progresses, and a new twist is added for Alice, we begin to see the cracks in her relationship with Cole, and to be honest I thought he was being an ass, treating Alice the way he does, blowing her off when she rings or texts, cancelling plans for night out. With a new ex on the scene from another group of slayers I disliked how he behaved around her, especially in front of Alice.

With new slayers on the scene, and new visions between Alice and Gavin, Alice Through the Zombie Glass brings so much more to us than the previous book. The is more fighting, and more tension as Alice is determined to battle after her injury, Justin (who may or may not be on their side), a spy among them, and a LOT of tension between on again off again couple. I'm surprised I didn't crease the spine or damage the book I had hold of it so tightly.

In the previous book there were a lot of people I didn't really like, but in Alice Through the Zombie Glass I actually like Trina and Mackenzie more than I did, even though they weren't very nice to Alice in the beginning, I guess being on the same receiving end makes them feel sorry and sympathetic towards Alice and creates unexpected bonds of friendship.

From the minute I began reading Alice Through the Zombie Glass I was hooked, the twists and turns meant I never knew what was going to happen next. Would they survive an attack? Would Alice be able to save herself? Would Cole and Alice sort themselves out and realise they are meant to be together? One thing that I really liked was the twist in the story, and I think the cover of the book represents this so much. Never knowing what was going to happen to Alice or this new situation made each moment she was alone with others a nervous read.

After finishing Alice Through the Zombie Glass all I can say is I need the next book in my hands NOW.

About Gena
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been translated all over the world. The critics have called her books "sizzling page-turners" and "utterly spellbinding stories", while Showalter herself has been called “a star on the rise”.

 Website Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...