Thursday, 20 February 2014

Review: ARV-3 by Cameo Renae


Title: ARV-3
Author: Cameo Renae
Genre: Post Apocalyptic
Series: The Life After Saga #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing
Publication Date: 31st December 2013

Tell Me About It
The beginning of the end. The Apocalypse.

A nuclear fallout wiped out every living thing on the planet, except for a few thousand of us who took shelter in underground bunkers across the globe. Now, after thirteen long years, we were finally able to return to the topside to begin to rebuild.

We thought we were alone. We were never more wrong.

Before the fallout, scientists had worked on creating an anti-radiation vaccine (ARV). The first two attempts failed, but despite the incomplete tests and results, the government approved and distributed the third serum to the masses in an effort to aid those who had no shelter.

It worked, keeping those who remained on the topside alive, but it also altered and mutated them. This new and infectious threat had completely outnumbered us. Now, we not only had to rebuild our planet. We would have to fight for it.

My name is Abigail Park. I’m seventeen, and this is my story.


My Thoughts
"They knew it wasn't a matter of if it was going to happen - it was a meter of when".
This has got to be one of my favourite introductions to a book, ever. I loved the prelude to ARV-3, it makes this story feel even more real with the whole ending of the world in 2012. While the world didn't end in 2012, the effects of the solar flare are real, and we get to see how catastrophic it was on the earth, the prelude is told by Abigail Park I had goosebumps from finishing it..

Abi and Fin, part of the small group of survivors that hid in a shelter, learning survival skills and growing up till it was safe to go topside. Thirteen years after the effects of the radiation had worn off they make the choice to venture up and make the perilous journey to a bigger, better, safe haven.
The first day going topside is hard on everyone, and with attacking Arvies it's hard for them to make their way to a safe zone, not once can they let their guard down and relax, each step ahead, each stop they plan to make must be thought out and considered wisely.

ARV-3 has a way of drawing you into this world, and getting completely sucked into it, I was a bag of nerves as they began their journey, not knowing if they would make it to the destination. The desolation of the Earth is told with such stark detail that it was easy to imagine how bad it was, and how much destruction had been caused. The Arvies are not creatures that I would want to meet anywhere, even in daylight, and the description of them sounds scary enough.

Throughout ARV-3 there were characters that I liked, and some I just didn't, but I will leave that judgement to you. One person who I did instantly like was Tina, I thought she was a good friend and roommate for Abi, and helps her immensely in the settling in period. There were moments I wanted to slap Fin for his behaviour towards others, yes I know he has grown up in a very sheltered environment but he seriously couldn't have been that naive. That being said though, Abi should have given him a chance to explain or at least explain to him what her issues where.

The last few chapters of ARV-3 were beyond nerve wracking, I was once again a nervous wreck, worrying over what would happen to characters, who would survive and who wouldn't. Even though things went the way I wanted them to go I could not relax until they were on the way out.

I enjoyed following this group of people as they try to make it in this new world for themselves, and while I did enjoy the story as a whole, there were one or two things that bugged me. One of the main things I disliked was although it was a tough journey, I felt like they got off too easy. They were rescued too easily and too soon and although the rescue doesn't go as planned, and things do happen which I won't elaborate on, I still felt it was too easy, that they didn't really get chance to get a full experience of this new Earth, or maybe I just wanted them to suffer a bit more.

Overall I enjoyed ARV-3 and I like how Cameo has seamlessly gone from one genre to another without any major issues. Reading ARV-3 feels like it's a perfect genre for Cameo and I do look forward to reading what happens net for these characters.

About Cameo
My family is what keeps my heart beating, and my world a happy place to be.

I love reading great books that whisk me away from reality, even if for a little while. :) Writing is my passion. I love creating new worlds and new characters, and taking wondrous adventures with them.

In My Dreams & Hidden Wings were both recently published through Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing. Descent (A Hidden Wings novella) will be released May 15, 2013, and Broken Wings (Book 2 in the Hidden Wings Series) will be released June 1, 2013.

One day I will find my magic wardrobe, and ride away on my magical unicorn... ♥ Until then... I'll keep writing! ;)

Website - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Oooo I purchased this one a few weeks ago as the synopsis was so intriguing. I'm definitely excited about it now :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...