Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Review: Full Measures by Rebecca Yarros


Title: Full Measures
Author: Rebecca Yarros
Genre: New Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Entangled: Embrace
Publication Date: 10th February 2014

Tell Me About It
She knew. That’s why Mom hadn’t opened the door. She knew he was dead.

Twenty years as an army brat and Ember Howard knew, too. The soldiers at the door meant her dad was never coming home. What she didn’t know was how she would find the strength to singlehandedly care for her crumbling family when her mom falls apart.

Then Josh Walker enters her life. Hockey star, her new next-door neighbor, and not to mention the most delicious hands that insist on saving her over and over again. He has a way of erasing the pain with a single look, a single touch. As much as she wants to turn off her feelings and endure the heartache on her own, she can’t deny their intense attraction.

Until Josh’s secret shatters their world. And Ember must decide if he’s worth the risk that comes with loving a man who could strip her bare.
My Thoughts
I had never heard of Rebecca until I got an email from the publisher with upcoming books, after reading the synopsis and seeing the cover I knew I HAD to read Full Measures, and I am so glad I filled in the form. One of the first things about this book that grabbed my attention when I began reading were the names for the children, December 'Ember', April, and August 'Gus'. I thought this was quirky, cute, and definitly makes the characters memorable.
Within the first few pages it feels like your heart has been torn from your body, stamped all over, and then put back again. It is so heartbreakingly sad and I sobbed my heart out with big ugly crying. While I was wiping away the tears I loved getting to see how Ember is with Gus, how caring and thoughtful she is to her younger brother, and those who have younger siblings can probably agree with me that they can be very annoying at times, and after they receive the devastating, news how strong she is to keep her family going while trying not to break down herself.

Riley is a complete and utter hypocritical ass, from the moment he is mentioned, added with his lack of support for Ember, I knew I wasn't going to be impressed with him. Kayla, Ember's so called friend, what a friend you don't need or want around, and if she is a friend I would love to see what enemies do to Ember. Kayla is just as bad as Riley and I was happy to see Ember close the door on their friendship no matter how much it hurt her to do it.
Josh *sigh* I think we all need a Josh in our lives. His secret wasn't what I was expecting, and I do feel sorry for how Ember discovers it, but in all honesty although I can see her side of the story it could have been a lot worse than it was. Yes he made a HUGE mistake in keeping this from her, but he did it to protect her, and I think this is his only failing. He is sweet, romantic, polite, and generally an all round nice HOT character.
Sam is a great antidote for Ember, and she helps Ember see some facts that she really needed to see. She is there as a friend when Ember needed one, a shoulder to cry on, a person to have fun with on girly nights, and a supportive person that doesn't let Ember wallow too much.

I loved every page of Full Measures and read it in one sitting, I even gave up a caffeine fix so I could concentrate entirely on the book, considering I could quite happily live with a caffeine drip then you know how addicted I am to it, and how much I must have loved Full Measures to give up on my caffeine.

The emotions are real and hard hitting and make Full Measures that much more powerful. They draw you in fast and hard into the pages and you don't want to stop reading, no matter how much your heart feels like its been stomped all over, or how hard it is to read through the tears pouring like Niagara Falls from your eyes, or how much you want to throw the book away either from anger or from the sexual tension.

Full Measures is a book you HAVE to read, and I would love to see another book in this world, either following Ember and Riley, or catching up with Sam, or even getting to read April's story.

About Rebecca
Rebecca Yarros is a hopeless romantic and lover of all things chocolate, coffee, and Paleo. In addition to being a mom, military wife, and blogger, she can never choose between Young Adult and New Adult fiction, so she writes both. She’s a graduate of Troy University, where she studied European history and English, but still holds out hope for an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Her blog, The Only Girl Among Boys, has been voted the Top Military Mom Blog the last two years, and celebrates the complex issues surrounding the military life she adores.

When she’s not writing, she’s tying on hockey skates for her kids, or sneaking in some guitar time. She is madly in love with her army-aviator husband of eleven years, and they’re currently stationed in Upstate NY with their gaggle of rambunctious kiddos and snoring English Bulldog, but she would always rather be home in Colorado.

Website Blog - Twitter - Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I love the review! Now go snag some caffeine! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...