Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Review: In Bloom by Katie Delahanty


Title: In Bloom
Author: Katie Delahanty
Genre: New Adult
Series: The Brightside #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Entangled Embrace
Publication Date: 10th February 2014

Tell Me About It
My name is Olivia Bloom and I. Am. Free.
I left for LA with everything I owned piled into my old Volkswagen and dreams of becoming a costume designer. Little did I know I’d wind up designing for a lingerie company—yeah, not sure how I landed this gig—and taken under the wing of two young Hollywood insiders. The fashion shows and parties were great, but life really got exciting when the seriously hottest lead singer of my favorite band started to fall for me. 
How does someone like me, an ordinary girl from Pittsburgh, wind up in the arms of the world’s sexiest rock star—surrounded by celebrities, fashion, and music—and not be eaten alive? Berkeley is everything I've ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, but the paparazzi, the tabloids, the rumors, it's all getting a bit too crazy. My life has become every girl’s dream come true, if only I don’t blink and lose it all…
My Thoughts
When I first saw In Bloom the synopsis drew me in, and as soon as I opened the book I fell in head first. I found myself quickly loving Liv and her minuscule group of friends, the chemistry they all have together means you never know what they will say next, or what they will drag Liv into. In Bloom was a book that I quickly fell into, I enjoyed reading about the characters and seeing some if their disastrous dating attempts, or their plans to dress up Liv and make her an unknown celebrity.

Throughout In Bloom Liv feels like an average girl trying to make it in LA, and even when she gets a great job, a fantastic promotion, and a rock star boyfriend, she is still so down to earth and 'real'. Each new chapter has tweets between the characters, and I loved getting to read them, especially the ones of Liv's Mum.
Liv's first meeting with Berkeley was amusing and embarrassing for her, especially when we discover what she was wearing and what it was mistaken for ;) I love how clueless she is to the whole LA way of life, and ends up with rules to follow from her friends. I enjoyed seeing how the relationship between Liv and Berkeley developed, from a not so great meeting in Liv's eyes, to movie nights, and self invited dinners. The friendship felt real and natural before they became more, but even then Berkeley didn't feel like he was some rock star, in private he felt like an average person and it's not until he is out among others that you remember who he is.

Things aren't all smooth sailing however, and there were times I felt sorry for Liv. Having to deal with the publicity, being mobbed by fans and haters, having pictures appear from her past, or set up pictures in her present is a lot to handle, and when Liv's heart broke I wanted to hide her under a rock to avoid all the drama. The last few chapters were sweet, and I love the effort the Berkeley went to in order to make it perfect for Liv.

I enjoyed every page of In Bloom, but I would have loved to see some sketches or illustrations of what Liv was designing. In Bloom is the first book in a series and not only am I interested in seeing what happens next, but also whos story will be next or if it will be a continuation of Liv's and Berkeley's.

About Katie
Katie is a fashion designer turned novelist. She graduated with a BA in Communication Studies from UCLA and a Professional Designation in Fashion Design from FIDM. It never occurred to her that she was a writer until an economic crisis induced career shift from lingerie designer to ecommerce webmistress led her to start the company blog. Not being an expert in lingerie, she decided to write the blog as a fictional serial starring a girl named Olivia Bloom who worked for the lingerie line. And that’s when Katie fell in love with storytelling. She hasn’t looked back since. Katie lives in Los Angeles with her husband.

Website - News - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...