Friday, 7 February 2014

Review: Timestorm by Julie Cross


Title: Timestorm
Author: Julie Cross
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Tempest #3
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Publication Date: 30th January 2014

Tell Me About It
Tempest Agent Jackson Meyer’s back. Just . . . he barely survived the time jump forward to the year 3200 and another jump will probably kill him. Imprisoned by Eyewall, an opposition organization determined to shape the future according to their will, regardless of the human cost, Jackson needs to decide once and for all what really matters to him. Trying to save the people he loves – including Holly, one-time love of his life and in this timeline at least an Eyewall recruit – or risking everything to try to prevent this horrific future from ever taking place. But things are not always as they seem. And as the truth unravels, Jackson is forced to realise just how much love costs.
My Thoughts
Honestly I am still debating how I want to write this review, and it's been a few days since I finished reading Timestorm. Timestorm is the final book in the Tempest series and like all final books I have mixed feelings about reading them, looking forward to reading it to see how it all ends, not wanting to read to make sure the series never ends, but also nervous about whether it will be a good read or not.

I began reading Timestorm with minimal expectations, while I loved the first book, the second one didn't really hit the mark for me so I went into Timestorm not knowing what to expect. I wanted it to have more action and time travelling like Tempest, instead I felt the characters didn't do much. Granted they were stuck in their location with no idea of how to escape, and they do a lot of training and learn new skills that they have, but I quickly found myself getting bored with the surroundings and constant frozen state they were in. Seeing some new characters and learning about how time travel came about was interesting and I did like most of it, but when it started to go into too much detail I lost focus a bit.

There were parts of Timestorm that I did like, but I admit to struggling through most of it. I still liked the characters, it was just the environment they were in. As Timestorm neared the end however, I did begin to enjoy it, and also cried a lot over some of the things that happened. The ending of Timestorm wasn't what I expected, but I think it worked well with the story as a whole. I am disappointed that I didn't enjoy Timestorm as much as what I wanted to though.

About Julie
I'm the author of the YA sci-fi trilogy, the Tempest series (St. Martin's Press). I'm also the author of the YA contemporary novel, Letters To Nowhere.

But even more importantly than the above, I'm a fan of books and an avid reader/reviewer. Keep in mind, however, that a review is just one person's opinion, one perspective. My goal is to show as much bias in my reviews as possible because this makes it easier for you to decide if your perspective is similar to mine or different. Everyone's tastes are different. I like books with emotion and believability. I don't mind edgy and heavy themes. I also like humor and quirk. I like weird characters in odd situations.

I have low tolerance for insta-love, flowery sex scenes, or mushy declarations of feelings. Not a fan of possessive/controlling male characters who get the girl in the end. When I recommend books, I always ask about favorite current reads and cater to each person's taste.

Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...