Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Blog Tour: Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young


Title: Just Like Fate
Authors: Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Publication Date: 6th March 2014

Tell Me About It
Caroline is at a crossroads. Her whole family is on her back, and her grandmother, the only person who really understands her, is sick, maybe dying. All she wants to do is escape. So when her best friend suggests a night out to forget her troubles, Caroline must choose: stay by her grandmother's side, or go to the party and live her life . . . and maybe meet the boy of her dreams.

This decision will split Caroline's fate into two separate paths - and she's about to live them both. But there can only be one happy ending . . .
Just Like Fate Blog Tour
I am super excited to be taking part in the blog tour for Just Like Fate, and also be one half of the blogs to kick this tour off. Now I know you are wondering what I mean when I say 'one half of the blogs'. If you have read Just Like Fate or even know a bit about it, then you know that the protagonist, Caroline, has two paths to follow depending on the choice she makes. The publishers had a fantastic idea to buddy up with another blogger, and think of an idea that we could do for our stop on the tour. Bungle from Midnight Reads and I decided we would review the book, and post the other bloggers reviews on our blog, so instead of seeing my review today, you get to see Bungles, and to see what I thought of Just Like Fate pop on over to Midnight Reads and take a look.
But before you visit Midnight Reads, make sure to keep reading her review, and then see what Cat and Suzanne had to say when we gave them a few questions to answer.

Where to start with my review of Just Like Fate!? I'll be honest, I wasn't aware of the book until I became involved with the blog tour but I'm sure glad I did. Let's start at the beginning shall we. I think in life we all have those moments when we think 'what if' and how many times have we sat wondering what if Neo would have taken the blue pill instead of the red pill, what if I'd left the party 30mins later, what if I'd been on time, what if I'd been late. With Just Like Fate we get to see the what if of Caroline's life as we learn that one simple decision can change everything.

Caroline's life is not the easiest, he parents are no longer together and after witnessing the rows and anger that led to their separation Caroline decides to live with her grandmother, the one person she truly loves and can rely on. But while her grandmother is in hospital faced with death Caroline is faced with her own decision, does she STAY and be by her grandmothers side or does she GO to the party that her best friend has invited her to. (There is more in the story that leads to Caroline's decision to 'Go').

We see Caroline's life unfold through these split decisions. With the 'Stay' story we get to see familiarity, family bonds mended and the guy Caroline has always had a crush on seems to finally remember her again. There were some things that happened in the 'Stay' world that I just didn't think Caroline would let happen, especially with Joel, the crush. I have to put it down to her grief. Although there were elements I liked about the 'Stay' path my heart really lies with the 'Go' path.

Many people question why she would 'Go' when her grandmother is about to die but given the situation with the whole family I think it's rather easy to see why Caroline would want a night off! I really loved the 'Go' storyline, it just seemed to feel more real, more like Caroline. She moves on, she finds herself, she rebuilds family bonds, she discovers new things and a new man! The beautiful Chris, who was just so charming and loveable!

I really enjoyed Just Like Fate and it was really interesting to see that no matter what choice you make in life fate will always take you where you are meant to be. It was nice to see the hints of both paths crossing into each other with particular events and people, the story just had me hooked. It's the kind of story you just need to keep reading, it's hard to put down. Definitely one to get your hands on and pick a path, I'm 'Go'!


Now that you have read Bungles review, keep reading to find out what questions we asked Cat and Suzanne, and also read their entertaining and thought provoking answers. But don't forget to stop by Midnight Reads and check out my review.
1. How did the collaboration come about?
S- Cat and I bonded over a lunchbox full of stickers. We met at a book signing for our other books and clicked right away. When Cat contacted me about a collaboration, I knew we were going to have a blast.
C- I like how Suzanne says that the lunchbox was filled with stickers. It was totally candy.
S- I didn’t want to make us seem like candy junkies.
C- Whoops.

2.Is it easier or harder to co-write a book and in what ways, and how does the process differ from writing your own book?
C- When we co-wrote the book, one of us would write a chapter, then we’d pass it to the other. That process went on and on until the draft was finished. It made it really fun because it was like reading and writing a book at the same time: I couldn’t wait to see what she’d send back!
S- I agree: I loved co-writing! I’m not sure that it was easier, it was just so much more fun. Plus, working with an author I admire really pushed me to write my best, and to be more entertaining.
C- You’re always entertaining.
S- Aw, you’re so sweet.
C- Author love fest!

3. If you were given the choice to co-write with any author, living or dead, who would be your dream author and why?
S-Uh, can I say Cat again? If not, then I select Mary Shelley because I have a great idea for a version of Frankenstein.
C- You’re Frankenstein obsessed. I love it! My choice would be Ray Bradbury. He’s the one who got me the most excited about reading when I was younger.

4. Have you ever wanted a 'what if moment' yourself?
S- As an author, I feel like ALL I think about are What if moments. I get to create entire universes, and if I mess something up, I can pull it apart and start over. Real life isn’t so easy, but my writer brain is always thinking about the possible outcomes before I decide.
C- Well said, girl. I will just add that while I think all of us crave “what if,” it’s important to not let fear of mistakes paralyze us and hold us back from pursuing our dreams. One of the things Suz and I really wanted to emphasize in Just Like Fate is that our mistakes contribute to who we are just as much as our wins do: They’re equally important as they teach us about right/wrong, forgiveness, and empathy.
Like, for example, I’m going to make the mistake of eating candy right now. Later I will have to learn to forgive myself for that choice.
S- Pass the lunchbox.

About Cat
Cat Patrick is an author of books for teens. Her debut novel, FORGOTTEN (available now), is about a girl who can remember the future instead of the past, and was praised by NYT bestselling author of Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher, as a "mindbending," one-sitting read. The book is being translated into 21 languages and Paramount bought the movie rights, with True Grit's Hailee Steinfeld attached to star as the main character, London Lane.

Patrick's second (unrelated) novel, REVIVED, is about a girl who's part of a secret government program to test a drug that brings people back from the dead. REVIVED will be available in the US May 2012, and in the UK and Australia Summer 2012.

Patrick lives near Seattle with her husband and twin 3-year-olds, and is afraid of zombies, planes, and zombies on planes.

Website - Blog Twitter - Facebook
About Suzanne
Originally from New York, Suzanne Young moved to Arizona to pursue her dream of not freezing to death. She currently resides in Tempe, where she teaches high school English. When not writing obsessively, Suzanne can be found searching her own tragic memories for inspiration.

Suzanne is the author of several books for teens, including THE PROGRAM, A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL, and A WANT SO WICKED.

Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...