Monday, 17 March 2014

Review: Rock War by Robert Muchamore


Title: Rock War
Author: Robert Muchamore
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Rock War #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Publication Date: 27th February 2014

Tell Me About It
Meet Jay. Summer. And Dylan.
Jay plays guitar, writes songs and dreams of being a rock star. But his ambitions are stifled by seven siblings and a terrible drummer.
Summer works hard at school, looks after her nan and has a one-in-a-million singing voice. But can her talent triumph over her nerves?
Dylan is happiest lying on his bunk smoking, but his school rugby coach has other ideas, and Dylan reluctantly joins a band to avoid crunching tackles and icy mud.
They're about to enter the biggest battle of their lives. And there's everything to play for.

My Thoughts
When I first heard about Rock War I knew it was one I HAD to read, so when I made a request for this book I kept my fingers and toes crossed. Rock War did take me a while to read, and definitly put my shoulder into exercising mode the amount of times I carried this to and from work.

Rock War follows three teenagers, who are hoping to form a band and try out for Rock the Lock. Jay, Summer, and Dylan have their own chapters as we follow each individual in the path they take to make their dreams come true. When I began reading and saw that we would be following three separate individuals, I was a bit nervous in case it got confusing, but I found it easy to follow them on their journey, I also made a handy dandy list to keep track of who was who and who was in what band, but I honestly didn't use it at all, and which I am not going to share as it gives away band members ;).

One of the things about Rock War I liked is how real the characters felt.
  • Jay is so stifled by his siblings, I felt sorry for him having to live the way he does, being surrounded by others all the time, with no escape to really expand his talents. He gets picked on by his brothers, and has another brother who is a felon and constantly getting into trouble.
  • Summer works so hard in school while also caring for her Grandmother, I really liked how she finally stood up for herself and told the principal what was really going on. When we got to see a glimpse into her home life my heart broke for her. Rock the Lock would make a huge difference to her life where every single penny counts.
  • Dylan took a while for me to like, he is arrogant and thinks everyone should do as he says, but when we see his home life we can see why he puts out a persona to others and doesn't really let anyone in. When he finally does I liked how he was forthcoming and welcoming his band into his home and finally letting someone in who could possibly be some great friends for him.
I don't want to say too much about what happens, I certainly didn't expect things to happen the way they did, and was shocked over the Rock the Lock results. The journey these bands take to get to the end was hilarious, sad, and also revealed who they could rely on when they needed someone. Both family and friends are put to the test in Rock War, and there are some unhappy results, but also a lot of surprises when family go to the extreme to keep each other safe.

Rock War certainty surpassed my expectations of this book, and I can't wait to see what happens next, and find out where the bands go from here. I have no idea how long I have to wait, but I know I want to read it now!!!!

About Robert
Robert Muchamore was born in Islington, London in 1972. He still lives there, and worked as a private investigator up until 2005 and the critically-accepted release of Maximum Security.

The Hunger Games phenomenon is part of the huge YA / Children's book explosion that has grown, thanks to the British Rat pack of YA authors, Anthony Horowitz, Robert Muchamore, Mark A Cooper, Joe Craig and Charlie Higson. We owe much of the hunger games sucess to authors like Robert.

Robert was inspired to create the CHERUB series by his nephews' complaints about the lack of anything for them to read. CHERUB: The Recruit was Robert's first book and won the Red House Children's Book Award 2005 in the Older Readers Category.

Following the last book in the CHERUB series, it was revealed that a trilogy would be released starting from August 2011 that will focus on a new set of CHERUB agents centred upon Ryan Sharma and also involve an sixteen year old Lauren Adams. The first book will be called People's Republic.

Website - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...