Thursday, 13 March 2014

Review: Urban Outlaws by Peter Jay Black


Title: Urban Outlaws
Author: Peter Jay Black
Genre: Action
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Publication Date: 13th March 2014

Tell Me About It
In a bunker hidden deep beneath London live five extraordinary kids: meet world-famous hacker Jack, gadget geek Charlie, free runner Slink, comms chief Obi and decoy diva Wren. They're not just friends; they're URBAN OUTLAWS. They outsmart London's crime gangs and hand out their dirty money through Random Acts of Kindness (R.A.K.s).

Their latest mission - hacking the bank account of criminal mastermind Del Sarto - has landed them in serious trouble. Del Sarto is going head-to-head with MI5 for control of Proteus, an advanced quantum computer able to crack any code and steal top-secret documents in nanoseconds. It's down to the URBAN OUTLAWS to use their guile, guts and skill to destroy Proteus, avert world domination . . . and stay alive.
My Thoughts
I am in love with the cover for Urban Outlaws. I love how bright and eye catching it is, but also the silhouette of the characters across the top. I will warn you all now that my review is more going to be my thoughts than what really happens in the book, this was my reading material on a journey to and from London. I began reading this when I was almost at London, so picked it back up on the way home.

Now to explain how engrossed in Urban outlaws I was, I am going to give you an example of what the train ride home was like.The train was super busy, it was full of all the Everton supporters going home from London after losing the match against Arsenal. I had a group of about eleven people surrounding me. Possibly about 30 minutes into the journey the person sitting next to me apologised for the language, that they weren't happy that they lost. I smiled and said it was OK....in reality I didn't even hear a word they had been saying, never mind any profanities.

Urban Outlaws is possibly aimed at a younger age to what I usually read, but this did not affect my enjoyment of this book, or how addicting it was. One of the first things that I really loved about Urban Outlaws were the Urban Outlaws themselves, I love how each one has their own talent and how they can use things to their advantage, Slink's ability is free running, and I love how he is the person they use to crawl through air vents, or make impossible paths through lasers or alarm triggers. Together this group of misfits manages to make the best use of every single ability and skill they have, to make a home for themselves, to help others out, and for RAKing (I think my heart melted a bit when I read this part)

While the Urban Outlaws do work well together, I did feel sorry for Wren, the newest and youngest member of their group. When missions are deemed to dangerous for her she is left behind in their den, and because of this when she was finally allowed to assist in a mission she assisted to the extreme causing a lot of headaches for Jack.

As you can see from the review, I have not gone into detail about what exactly happens in the book, or what the Urban Outlaws get up to, it is more a review of my thoughts that what happens. While I am happy I got to review this book, I am also disappointed that I have to wait so long for the next instalment. I need to read it right now and get some answers to things that I don't feel were given full closure.

About Peter
Peter Jay Black loves gadgets, films, and things that make him laugh so hard he thinks he might pass out. He went to an arts university and a career in IT followed. One day, a team of super-skilled kids popped into his head and he brought them to life in a Hollywood apartment. In his spare time, Peter enjoys collecting unusual artifacts like Neolithic Arrow Heads, Ancient Egyptian Rings, and Fossilised Dinosaur Poo.

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...