Thursday, 17 April 2014

Blog Tour: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer


Title: Storm
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Elemental #1
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 17th April 2013

Tell Me About It
Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake.

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want. When she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot, everything is about to change. Chris is different from the guys at school... really different. He can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. The brothers are powerful and dangerous. And now that Becca knows the truth, so is she.

When the mysterious new kid, Hunter, turns up, Becca thinks she can trust him. But when he goes head-to-head with Chris, Becca's left wondering who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
My Thoughts
I had Storm on my goodreads wish list for ages, and when I was asked if I wanted a review copy and to join in the blog tour for Storm from the UK publisher I said yes. It wasn't until I went to add it to my 'for review' list on goodreads did I realise it was the same book, so I was super excited to be getting a copy.
The beginning of Storm sees Becca, finishing a self-defence class, and stumbling upon Chris, in the middle of getting beat up. With a true display of girl power, Becca steps in and saves the day, and ends up taking Chris home, where she meets his family, Michael, and the twins Gabriel and Nick.
I initially started reading Storm with no back story or knowledge of this world, so when I discovered Elemental in the back, a short novella that comes before Storm, I quickly read it and jumped straight back into the story.

I absolutely love the whole idea of everyone being an Elemental. The weaker ones are drawn to their element and choose a hobby or career that represent it, but I was fascinated by how much stronger you can be by being born on a point, being a Pure. The detail gone into how each element works and what it does really drew me in and once again I put my months of eating and reading simultaneously into practise and quickly found myself making my way through the pages of Storm.

The publicist that sent me Storm enticed me with 'four hot brothers' and in all honesty not only was she correct with the 'hot' part, I really can't pick which boy I like the best. They all act like an ass at some point, but also have redeeming things about them. When Hunter makes an appearance the total went from 'four hot brothers' to 'five hot men' and I think I will just take them all home, thank you very much.
Quinn, Becca's friend, is annoying at certain points. Part of this is explained later on and explains why she acts the way she does, but I think a lot of things are left unsaid and I have the feeling her story isn't finished and that she has some secrets of her own.

One thing that I am quite pleased about was being able to correctly guess the identity of the Guide, and I got it ages before hints and ideas were dropped. Even when the identity was revealed I was still shocked that not only was I right, but also about who it was.

This is the first book I have read by Brigid and was nervous about what I would think of Storm, whether I would enjoy it as much as I hoped, and that if the years of being on my wish list were all worth it. Now that I have finished Storm I should not have worried at all. Storm was an unputdownable read and I devoured every single page. Never knowing what was going to happen and if the Guide would turn up or capture them had me on the edge of my seat, and the added doubt over how unpredictable the boys elemental powers were only upped the ante even more. I fell into this world head first and was reluctant to come back out once I had finished reading. I was hooked, plain and simple, and I can't wait to read the rest of this series.

About Brigid.
Brigid Kemmerer finds the time to write somewhere between caring for her family and working at her day job, but sometimes she ends up mothering her coworkers and managing her family. Storm: The Elemental Series is her first novel.

Website - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...