Monday, 7 April 2014

Review: CHERUB:The Recruit by Robert Muchamore


Title: CHERUB: The Recruit
Author: Robert Muchamore
Genre: Young Adult
Series: CHERUB #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Publication Date: 3rd April 2014

Tell Me About It
A terrorist doesn't let strangers in her flat because they might be undercover police or intelligence agents, but her children bring their mates home and they run all over the place. The terrorist doesn't know that one of these kids has bugged every room in her house, made copies of all her computer files and stolen her address book. The kid works for CHERUB.

CHERUB agents are aged between ten and seventeen. They live in the real world, slipping under adult radar and getting information that sends criminals and terrorists to jail.

For official purposes, these children do not exist.
My Thoughts
After finishing Rock War I wanted to read some more of Robert's books, so when I saw The Recruit on netgalley I had to give it a try......and I am still in two minds over what I think about it. So instead of my usual style of review I am going to go with a different style for this one, listing things I liked or disliked about The Recruit.

Things I liked about The Recruit
  • I liked the whole idea behind the story, and how you would not suspect children as being part of a spy team and that they are really the ones you have to look out for.
  • I thought the friendships that were formed were somewhat realistic
  • I love the military style training, and while they didn't necessary enjoy it themselves, I did enjoy seeing them go through torture to try to make it into the ranks.
  • I loved the different range of characters in the book, and that they had their own skills. This group was a great mix of people who work well together in training, but also come in useful at other times.

Things I disliked about The Recruit
  • It took far too long for anything to really happen, even joining CHERUB took a long time to actually get that far.
  • I thought that there was so much build up for the final mission, that when it came around it was a let down. I was expecting a bit more action.
  • I thought the relationship between James and Johanna wasn't realistic at all. I don't get how a child can fall so head over heels 'in like' with someone enough to put their mission at stake, and to want to spend all their free time with them.

I have it on good terms that although The Recruit is slow, the rest of this series get's better, so I may attempt the next book in this series and see how I fell about it afterwards. Even after writing down all my points I still can't fully decide on how I actually feel about The Recruit. There was obviously something about this book that kept me reading, I just can't put my finger on what it was exactly.

About Robert
Robert Muchamore was born in Islington, London in 1972. He still lives there, and worked as a private investigator up until 2005 and the critically-accepted release of Maximum Security.

Robert was inspired to create the CHERUB series by his nephews' complaints about the lack of anything for them to read. CHERUB: The Recruit was Robert's first book and won the Red House Children's Book Award 2005 in the Older Readers Category.

Following the last book in the CHERUB series, it was revealed that a trilogy would be released starting from August 2011 that will focus on a new set of CHERUB agents centred upon Ryan Sharma and also involve an sixteen year old Lauren Adams. The first book will be called People's Republic.

Website - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...