Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Audiobook Review: Dreams Of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor


Title: Dreams Of Gods and Monsters
Author: Laini Taylor
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Narrator: Kristin Hvam
Running Time: 18 hours 6 minutes
Source: Audible.co.uk

Tell Me About It
It began with Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It continued with Days of Blood and Starlight. It ends with Dreams of Gods and Monsters.
Common enemy, common cause. When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves.
But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz...something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world. What power can bruise the sky?
From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera, and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theatre that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy. At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?
My Thoughts
When I got the chance to review an audiobook version of Dreams Of Gods and Monsters I jumped at the chance, one because I really really need to find out how this series ends, but also being an audiobook would mean I didn't have to carry around a monster of a book to read it.

The Plot
Dreams Of Gods and Monsters is the third and final book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and has been on my wish list since I finished the second book. What I didn't realise when I accepted this book is how long it actually is, 18 hours!!!!!!, so this has taken a lot longer than usual to actually finish. When I began listening to Dreams Of Gods and Monsters I wish I had time to read the first two books again, with such a big world in this series I was immediately lost over who was who, with only Karou and Zuzanna being the characters I knew with certainty. Regardless of my confusion I continued to listen, and after a while I began to piece some of the pieces together, but it wasn't until I was in the second part of this audiobook that I knew with certainty that I had all the characters labelled in my head correctly.

Dreams Of Gods and Monsters is tense, nervous, and full of action. Every twist and turn in the journey only held more suspense, I never knew what was coming or what would happen, I couldn't even map out possible results to anything. Would this truce hold? Would Karou be successful in her mission? Who is Eliza and what role does she play in this story?

Dreams of Gods and Monsters was an epic listen, in all aspects, and I enjoyed every second of it. My only issue is the ending. The lead up towards this was great (not going into detail about this one), but after everything that has happened, everything that Karou and Akiva have gone through, I wanted a more final ending, a more real 'This is the End', and less of a 'Fade to Black'.

The Narrator
Kristin Hvam narrates Dreams of Gods and Monsters, and she does an amazing job of it. My favourite 'voice' has to be Razgut, the way she portrays him reminds me of another fictitious character from another series, and she made it so easy to imagine him in my head. Each character as easy to differentiate from the other, even down to a slight change in accent or pitch in voice. She has done a great job of drawing you into the book and making you want to keep listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...