Monday, 5 May 2014

Audiobook Review: Geek Girl [Geek Girl #1] by Holly Smale


Title: Geek Girl
Author: Holly Smale
Author Info: Twitter|Facebook|Website
Narrator: Katey Sobey
Running Time: 8 hours 2 minutes
Source: Audible.co.uk

Tell Me About It
"My name is Harriet Manners, and I am a geek."
Harriet Manners knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. She knows that bats always turn left when exiting a cave and that peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite. But she doesn't know why nobody at school seems to like her.
So when Harriet is spotted by a top model agent, she grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her best friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of impossibly handsome model Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.
Veering from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, Harriet begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.
As her old life starts to fall apart, will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?
My Thoughts
Have you ever read a book and loved it so much you could not think of how it could get any more amazing than what it already is. Well I had the exact same thoughts about Geek Girl, and I was wrong. I went into listening to Geek Girl already knowing I loved the characters, but actually giving the characters a voice, having someone actually tell their story..literally, made Geek Girl so much more amazing.

The Story
I love the whole idea behind the story of Geek Girl, having a geek somehow become the new face of modelling, even with all her quirks and not so model like behaviour and attitude. She is not your average model and is a real inspiration for all. There were times I was laughing whilst listening to Geek Girl, and I had to be super careful when on the way to work to make sure I didn't laugh out loud or have a big stupid grin on my face. At night I found myself putting my iPod back on for 'just 30 more minutes'.

The Characters
What can I say about the characters. They really make this book stand out, and leave a lasting impression on you.
  • Toby - I love Toby and his stalkerish ways, how he always knows where Harriet is going to be and take her dismissal in his stride. He is the true example of a geek and comes out with facts that are just as hilarious as Harriet's.
  • Nat - I love how she is the complete opposite of Harriet, yet somehow they work great as best friends. She may not have been happy with what happens with Harriet, but you can understand why. 
  • Harriet - Harriet is just amazingly geeky, clueless about how she looks, full of fun facts, and occasionally says the wrong thing, but you can't help but love her. She is easy to like and I love her inner monologues.
The Narrator
Katey Sobey brings these characters to life. I love how she portrays each of the characters in their own unique way, especially Toby. She makes Geek Girl that much more entertaining and hilarious and her representation of Wilbur (not William) had me laughing every time he 'spoke'. Geek Girl is her first audiobook narration, and I can't wait to see if she gets the chance to narrate more.

If you read and loved Geek Girl, then you HAVE to get a copy of the audiobook, and if you have yet to experience this awesomeness, what are you waiting for, go pick up your copy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...