Saturday, 17 May 2014

Review: The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox


Title: The Dead Girls Detective Agency
Author: Suzy Cox
Author Info: Tumblr|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Dead Girls Detective Agency #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Much-in-Little
Publication Date: 18th July 2013

Tell Me About It
Being told you're dead is one thing. But having to solve your own murder? It's a lot for a girl to take in. Solving the mystery behind your death can be murder.

Charlotte wakes up at Hotel Atessa, home to murdered New York teenagers and HQ of The Dead Girls Detective Agency. Before she has time to adjust to her new, erm, dead self, she's thrust into the arms of her new afterlife companions, Lorna, Nancy and the cute - if slightly hostile - dead boy, Eddison.

But where does this leave Charlotte and her boyfriend David? Is it possible to have a long-distance relationship from beyond the grave? The only way out of this limbo is to figure out who killed her, or she'll have to spend eternity here. But who could hate her enough to want her dead?
My Thoughts
I have seen The Dead Girls Detective Agency around on the blogosphere but never got a chance to read it. I got a copy sent to me from the publisher to read both books in the series as part of the blog tour, and I got to it as soon as possible. The idea of The Dead Girls Detective Agency sounded interesting, and I wondered how this would work, how would a ghost solve their murder?

The whole learning curve on how to be a ghost isn't as easy as Charlotte or myself expected, and there is the whole 'You Must Follow The Rules' thing going on. Basically Charlotte can only use her ghost tricks if it helps solve her murder, no scaring people, no appearing in front of them, no ghostly activity at all. Talk about a buzz kill.

When I began reading The Dead Girls Detective Agency I found myself falling into this world quickly and easily, and learning about this world as Charlotte does was a good way for me to immerse myself in this book, learning as she does. Some of the tricks she is taught would come in very handy for me, but I think I like the tricks learnt from Edison the best. I liked the different mix of characters in the hotel (not agency as two characters did really participate in the Detective Agency) and seeing how they worked together (most of the time) and bounced ideas off of each other.

The Dead Girls Detective Agency was a likeable read, while it didn't really wow me, I did finish it, and did not expect the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...