Friday, 2 May 2014

Review: Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski


Title: Don't Even Think About It
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Don't Even Think About It #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Orchard Books
Publication Date: 1st May 2014

Tell Me About It
This is the story of how we became freaks. It's how a group of I's became a we.

When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn't expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friends. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. None of them will ever be the same.

A smart and funny story about friendship, first love and surviving high school from the bestselling author of Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done.
My Thoughts
When I first heard of Don't Even Think About It I was intrigued as to how a flu shot could have such a huge side effect so I knew I had to find out more. When I began reading I will admit to not falling into the story like I thought I would and it took for me to get about halfway through the book before it became interesting. There are a few reasons as to why I didn't initially love Don't Even Think About It, and even after I have finished reading I can't say that I love Don't Even Think About It, but I did enjoy it and do like it, enough to find out what happens next in the next instalment when it's released.

Things I Disliked
  • I thought the characters were shallow and very immature. On the back of the book it says that Don't Even Think About It is not for younger readers, yet I felt like the characters acted far too immature for a book not meant for younger readers.
  • It got confusing over who was who, who liked who, and who was seeing who and it took a while for me to actually connect them all, I had to make a little list to keep track of who they where.
  • Although the whole idea of having telepathy was interesting, I felt like it could have been more interesting and more substantial, I don't get how doing something could just turn it off.

Things I liked
  • I loved the plotting and scheming between the Espies.
  • Getting to hear some of the non Espies thoughts, and even some of the Espies thoughts was hilarious.
  • The emotions that the characters feel and have to go through after discovering some secrets felt real and heart breaking, and those on the receiving end of things I felt deserved them and that they put themselves in that position.
  • I loved how the Espies used their 'gift' to their advantage, cheating on tests, having the advantage in team games or matches against others, even going on a date and ensuring the other person thinks its perfect.
After the initial bumpy start, I found myself enjoying Don't Even Think About It and I could not read fast enough. The last few chapters flew by, especially when they were all outed, and waiting while they made the decision over what to do about their ability was a tension filled wait. After the last few pages I can't wait to see what happens to this group, but also to certain individuals within the group.

About Sarah
Sarah is the author of BRAS & BROOMSTICKS, FROGS & FRENCH KISSES, SPELLS & SLEEPING BAGS and PARTIES & POTIONS—all in the YA ‘Magic in Manhattan’ series, as well as GIMME A CALL and the upcoming TEN THINGS WE DID (AND PROBABLY SHOULDN'T HAVE). Along with Lauren Myracle and E. Lockhart, she also wrote HOW TO BE BAD.

Sarah’s five novels for adults, MILKRUN, FISHBOWL, AS SEEN ON TV, MONKEY BUSINESS and ME VS. ME, were published by Red Dress Ink. She also co-wrote a guide to writing chick lit (SEE JANE WRITE), co-edited two bestselling charity collections (GIRLS' NIGHT IN and GIRLS' NIGHT OUT), and contributed to various anthologies (AMERICAN GIRLS ABOUT TOWN, SIXTEEN: STORIES ABOUT THAT SWEET AND BITTER BIRTHDAY, 21 PROMS, FIRST KISS (THEN TELL), FIREWORKS and VACATIONS FROM HELL).

Sarah's books have been translated into twenty-one languages. Originally from Montreal, she now lives and writes in New York City.

Website - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...