Thursday, 29 May 2014

Review: Flashes by Tim O'Rourke


Title: Flashes
Author: Tim O'Rourke
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Chicken House
Publication Date: 5th June 2014

Tell Me About It
Flashes is the first in a new series of YA paranormal crime novels in which a 17-year-old girl cannot help seeing glimpses of dead people who seem to want her aid - much to the consternation of her boyfriend, who has just started work for the local CID.

***This is the full paperback novel--which was originally released in three separate parts over the course of three months via ebook.
My Thoughts
When I first heard about Flashes I knew it was a book I had to read, so I waited very patiently for my copy to arrive. I love the cover to this book, and how relevant it is to the story itself.

Flashes begins with the funeral of Charley's best friend Natalie, the only person who really believed in what Charley was seeing. She is now left to grieve the loss of her friend, and try to make sense in what she sees. It's not long before we get a first hand look at what these flashes are, as we experience them with Charley, seeing glimpses of what has happened and are left with bits of a puzzle that you have no idea how to put together. Flashes is told in two points of view, Charley and Tom. With Charley we get the images, we get to see the events happen, with Tom we get the investigative part, what the police are doing to solve the crime and see how he goes about helping Charley

Flashes was a slow start for me, but it quickly picks up the pace and definitely kept me wanting to know more. I love the idea of having flashes of what is going to happen, but not necessarily having them for the reasons that Charley does. By page 91 I had a suspicion who the killer was, and once it was in my head it was easy to see the clues and things that aren't mentioned and put them all together. By the time the killer is revealed I was happy to find my suspicion was correct (for a change).

I while I didn't love Flashes, I did enjoy it, and I would like to see if anything else came about from the last few pages of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...