Thursday, 8 May 2014

Review: Gypsy by Trisha Leigh


Title: Gypsy
Author: Trisha Leigh
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: The Cavy Files #1
Source: Author
Publication Date: 13th May 2014

Tell Me About It
Inconsequential: not important or significant.
Synonyms: insignificant, unimportant, nonessential, irrelevant

In the world of genetic mutation, Gypsy’s talent of knowing a person’s age of death is considered a failure. Her peers, the other Cavies, have powers that range from curdling a blood still in the vein to being able to overhear a conversation taking place three miles away, but when they’re taken from the sanctuary where they grew up and forced into the real world, Gypsy, with her all-but-invisible gift, is the one with the advantage.

The only one who’s safe, if the world finds out what they can do.

When the Cavies are attacked and inoculated with an unidentified virus, that illusion is shattered. Whatever was attached to the virus causes their abilities to change. Grow. In some cases, to escape their control.

Gypsy dreamed of normal high school, normal friends, a normal life, for years. Instead, the Cavies are sucked under a sea of government intrigue, weaponized genetic mutation, and crushing secrets that will reframe everything they’ve ever been told about how their "talents" came to be in the first place.

When they find out one of their own has been appropriated by the government, mistreated and forced to run dangerous missions, their desire for information becomes a pressing need. With only a series of guesses about their origins, the path to the truth becomes quickly littered with friends, enemies, and in the end, the Cavies ability to trust anyone at all.
My Thoughts
When I first got the email off Trisha asking me to review Gypsy I had to do some research. I had never heard of Trisha or Gypsy before and needed to know more about the book and the author before making my decision. Of course I replied and said yes and quickly found myself in the possession of Gypsy.
Gypsy, and her fellow Cavies lived and grew up at Darley, a home where they discovered their powers, practised and basically had a mixed up family. Her world is shaken up when the arrival of the police splits her makeshift family up, and what Gypsy thought she knew about herself is ripped out from under her feet at the discovery she has a real family, somewhere to really call home.

I love this small group of kids that think of themselves as a family, and while we initially only see a quick glimpse of their life together and what their abilities are, I quickly became emotionally invested in them all. I love the uniqueness of them and how not one of them is the same in personality or ability wise. I was shocked to the core when their family was broken up and was worried over what would happen to the now. As each one finds a home to go to, or somewhere to stay we see how this affects them all, but I really like how the new parental figures still allowed this makeshift family to stay in contact with each other, to keep that bond alive.
Starting a new school is not the best experience for anyone, but imagine having to start a whole new life, and a whole new school on top of that, but also knowing that every single person thinks they know you, yet you have no idea what to do in this new life. I really thought that Gypsy dealt amazingly well with the situation she finds herself in, and I admire her for trying to get used to this new life, making friends and trying to be a normal person.

I am trying so hard not to say too much about what happens in Gypsy in case I spoil it. Gypsy was better than I expected it would be. I went into reading Gypsy expecting it to be an X-Men style book, in that we would see a lot of the ability side and maybe a small hint of normal life, but there are so many things that make up the plot to Gypsy. Of course there is the fantasy/science fiction part of it, and romance, but also the average teenage life problems. I also came away with the feeling that family means different things, and that even if you do have a family in the traditional way, you can still have others that are a family in a non-traditional way.

Reading Gypsy I never knew what to expect next, and just as I thought things were finally falling into place for Gypsy, something was thrown into the mix that made you think and re-evaluate what you thought. I enjoyed the twists and turns within the pages and as I was reaching the final pages I really thought that it had all been sorted out for this group, but Trisha ended with a major cliffhanger that I did not see coming......ever, and I really NEED the next book now. I NEED to know what is happening and what this means. The ending makes sense if you look at in in a certain way, but taking that factor out, the ending does not make sense...is this even real. I NEED to know!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...