Thursday, 8 May 2014

Review: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover


Title: Maybe Someday
Author: Colleen Hoover
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Ltd
Publication Date: 18th March 2014

Tell Me About It
Contains exclusive content: songs from Griffin Peterson Sydney is living in an idyllic bubble - she's a dedicated student with a steady job on the side. She lives with her best friend, has a great boyfriend, and the music coming from the balcony opposite hers is fast becoming the soundtrack to her life. But when Sydney finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, the bubble bursts. The mysterious and attractive man behind the music, Ridge, gives Sydney hope that she can move on and they begin to write songs together. But moving on is harder than she expects, Sydney can only hope…. Maybe someday… Colleen Hoover draws you in to this passionate tale of music, love and betrayal…
My Thoughts
I have had Maybe Someday for a while, I was lucky to win an advanced copy from a competition on Colleen's website, but I selfishly wanted to read and listen to the music in this book at the same time, so I waited. I purchased a UK finished copy and put it on my shelf and waited some more. I waited for the perfect time where I would be able to sit undisturbed and be able to enjoy the full experience of reading Maybe Someday and having the music there to listen to.

The first person we meet in Maybe Someday is Sydney. After storming out of her apartment she is left sitting in the rain for a taxi to arrive, only to discover she has no money on her. She is quickly rescued by Bridgette, roommate to Ridge, who takes her up to their apartment. We then jump into 'two weeks earlier' and learn more about Sydney, and how she met Ridge, and why she punched her best friend.

Maybe Someday is not the first book I have read by Colleen, but it definitly stood out. I love how closely it's musical side was interwoven within the story itself, it was a perfect partnership or words, and writers. I love how their first conversation was about music, and how he begs for her lyrics to song he has played but nut yet actually written words for.

One thing, except for the music, that I really looked forward to were the pranks. I loved the prank wars and these would have come in handy to prank my brother with when I lived at home. I think my favourite was the writing in the forehead one, I actually laughed out loud.

As Maybe Someday progress we get hints about Maggie's mysterious past and it takes a while for us to actually get the full story. When it was finally revealed I felt sorry for her for having to deal with this, but also for Ridge were I got the impression that even though even though he loved her, he felt like he was obligated to stay with Maggie. To keep her safe and to protect her.
Ridge has his own past that he is trying to escape from, and it's a past that is so heartbreaking. To grow up already at a disadvantage, and then have your efforts thrown back in your face and people you love punished for it. My heart went out for him and for Brennan and if I could pick up characters from the pages I would definitly have done this for a younger Ridge.

Reading Maybe Someday made me appreciate how valuable friendship is. Ridge has a good friendship with Warren, his other roommate, slacker, best friend for years, and someone who 'forgets' to pay rent. Initially I thought Warren was a pain in the ass, but as I got to know him I love how non judgemental and honest he is towards Sydney &Ridges friendship. He has Ridge's and Maggie's back, and as events unroll, Sydney's too.

Maybe Someday was a powerful read, and I have no idea how my one little review will ever do it justice. The minute I began reading I was hooked, the further I got into the book, the further I fell into this world that Colleen has created. I really did not want to stop reading, and even when I came to the final pages I wanted it to keep going.

I also want to mention Griffin Peterson who made this book even that much more amazing. I loved having the music there to listen to when it appeared in the book. To find out more about the idea behind Maybe Someday and Griffin himself, then visit the Maybe Someday website here.

Blogger Reviews:
Sarah @ Feeling Fictional
Emma @ Book Angel Booktopia
Donna @ Book Passion For Life

3 comments:

  1. I need to check this one out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this as much as I did Michelle! The pranks were hilarious weren't they :o) I LOVED being able to listen to the music as Ridge & Sydney created the lyrics. I actually loved the songs so much that I bough the album!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say thanks for linking my review, I've added your link to mine too :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...