Friday, 2 May 2014

Review: Nash by Jay Crownover


Title: Nash
Author: Jay Crownover
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult
Series: Marked Men #4
Source: Netgalley Widget
Publisher: HarperFiction
Publication Date: 24th April 2014

Tell Me About It
The fourth book in the scorching hot NEW YORK TIMES bestselling MARKED MEN New Adult series

Nash Donovan, tattooist and good-time guy, never knew his father. Instead, he was brought up by his Uncle Phil, the best role model and mentor a guy could have. But when Phil is rushed to hospital and reveals he’s at the end stages of lung cancer, he wants Nash to know the truth. Reeling from the family secret Phil has let slip, Nash needs something to hold on to – and the nurse with the beautiful grey eyes taking care of Phil seems remarkably familiar…

Saint Ford doesn’t know what to think when Nash crashes back into her life. They went to school together what feels like a million years ago and although she feels – and looks – very different, she can’t tell if Nash is still the same guy: the guy who teased and bullied her way back when and who she vowed never to forgive.

But Nash is impossible to stay away from. From his flame-tattooed head to his multiple piercings, and his all-round good guy attitude, he’s unlike anyone Saint has ever known – does she still carry a flame for the first guy to steal her heart? And can she forgive him – and herself – for the mistakes of the past?
My Thoughts
Nash is a book I have been desperate to read since I finished Rome, when I got the email offering me it for review I had to try so hard to keep the excitement contained (I was in work on my lunch break with a lot of people who don't understand my relationship with books) When I got home and downloaded Nash....the book and not Nash himself unfortunately, that was then I let the excitement out with a squeal and a happy dance (neither of which will ever be seen in public)

Nash is told by Saint and Nash, who has been waiting a long time to get his story out, and after the ending in Rome we know that this duo has some sort of history. The very first chapter is Saint's, and she has some very strong opinions about Nash, one of them is quoted below, which I couldn't help but laugh at.
It shouldn't make me want to pull all of her fabulous auburn hair from her head and knee Nash in the balls so hard his future grandchildren would walk with a limp
[Saint, page 38]
I will admit that I had forgotten about Phil, and when I picked up Nash again it all came back to me and I actually had to hesitate, I wanted to read this book, but I have just gone through what Nash is going through and I worried that it would bring up a lot of painful memories for me. But I soldiered on, and while there were a LOT of tears, I did love the book. The situation that Nash and Phil find themselves in is told in such a tasteful, realistic way, but is done so with a lot of sensitivity towards the reader, enabling us to really experience what is going on, but also be spared a lot of the painful truths.

Not long after I had begun reading Nash I quickly found myself I feeling sorry for Saint, as the story progresses we get to see her life as she grew up, and how her one crush on Nash affected her so much, even after graduating and moving to California, it still puts doubts into her mind, affecting her one and only real relationship, and eventually led to her even giving up on the one night stands, and boycotting relationships altogether. Her past is troubled and having a perfect sister only strengthened her self doubt over her image, her capability in jobs and relationships, and her confidence.

Nash is left dealing with a lot of emotional baggage in his story, having to come to terms with Phil's condition, dealing with the fact Phil won't be around much longer, the shock revelation, and also knowing that the tattoo shop, Marked, is now his and Rule's. He is also confused over his feelings towards Saint, he know she hates his guts but has no idea why.. I loved getting to see this couple interact with each other, one minute you could cut the air with a knife with all the tension in the room, the next they could literally set a house on fire with the heat coming from them both.
Nash is just as amazing as the previous books I this series, once I began reading I was hooked, and I could not put the book down. I love this gang so much and getting to see their own stories one at a time gives us such a great insight into their unique family. I finish each book with the protagonist as my new favourite, and that is no different for Nash, I now declare Nash to be my favourite Marked Man.

The great thing about this series is that we also get to check in with the others, and like it's predecessors, Nash isn't all about Nash and Saint, we get to see Rule and Shaw finally tie the knot, and it was a quick but very emotional ceremony. We also get to catch up with Cora and Rome and see the end in one of their journeys. We also see Adyen and Jet, as well as Asa and Rowdy. The final pages of Nash were the perfect lead up for Rowdy's story, and I can't wait to see how it begins and ends.

Jay certainly knows how to make you emotionally invested in the characters, and even without my own experience I have no doubt in my mind that I would have been a crying mess whilst reading Nash, which is why I am glad it's from netgalley and not an actual physical book. The Marked Men is a series that everyone needs to read, and if you have read them then you need to pick up Nash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...