Friday, 9 May 2014

Review: The Recruit by Fiona Palmer


Title: The Recruit
Author: Fiona Palmer
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Series: MTG Agencies #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Escape Publishing
Publication Date: 1st May 2014

Tell Me About It
From one of Australia’s Queens of Romance comes the debut in a brand new YA series about secrets, strengths, and what lies beneath the surface.

Jasmine Thomas may not be completely normal, but she’s a pretty typical seventeen-year-old girl. She hates the rich mean kids, loves her best friends, and can’t wait to get out of school each day. Her spare time is spent at The Ring — a boxing gym where she practically grew up — learning karate, boxing and street fighting. So, yeah, Jaz can kick some major butt.

Life seems pretty normal until the day Ryan Fletcher enters her gym…mysterious and hot with heaps of bad boy charm. Sure, she checks him out. Who wouldn’t? But what doesn’t show on his gorgeous abs are secrets and lies that dominate his very grown-up world. Now Jaz has to figure out just how far she is willing to go to know more. Could Ryan really be offering the life-fulfilling life path she’s always dreamed of?
My Thoughts
Deciding what books I want to read depends on a few factors. If it's not an author on my automatic buy list then I go by book cover, and synopsis. What drew me to The Recruit was the synopsis, after reading it I knew I had to get hold of this book.
Jasmine, or Jaz to her friends, is a street smart, battle ready teenager. She can box, fight, and fence like nobody, and her skills come in handy when she saves her arch nemesis from being dragged down a dark alley in the first chapter of the book. If you want to introduce a brand new character to this world THIS is a way to do it, and ensure you have the attention of the reader immediately.
On the outside Jasmine is an average teenager, she hangs with her friends Anna and Taylor, goes to school, but also goes to The Ring, a boxing club that is run by her friends relative, Pax. Jasmine has come to this club so often that when Pax is away, Jasmine is one of the few to hold the keys to the building.

The Recruit was a quick read for me, and that was just because I could not read fast enough, I needed to know who this mysterious Ryan was and how he knew Pax, I wondered if Taylor would ever know what Jaz felt about him, and I was constantly trying to guess what Jaz would do when she left school.
When we first meet Ryan I didn't know how to take him, he knew Pax but seemed surprised to find Jaz, and as Jaz and Ryan slowly become closer in the back of my mind I felt like he was hiding something from Jaz about her father, I got the feeling that he somehow knew who her Dad was. The moment I began to like him was hen he rode in like a knight in shining armor in his car and saved Jaz's life. I will also admit to having my heart in my throat at this moment, no matter how great Jaz's skills are I just couldn't see a wait out of this situation for her.

The pacing of The Recruit was steady and didn't feel rushed, the passage of time clear and explained and the plot definitely kept me reading. I like to pretend I am good at connecting dots, but most of the time it has to be staring me right in the face before I actually make the connection. The Recruit had me so distracted with Jaz and Ryan that I didn't make a connection till I got about 75% of the way through, and even then it was almost staring right in my face.

The Recruit is the first book I have read by Fiona, and I found myself quickly falling into this world. While a lot of the questions I had were resolved, there was still one that I needed to know more about. I can't wait to read the next installment and find out what Jaz has to do and if this question is answered for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...