Thursday, 22 May 2014

Review: Torn Away by Jennifer Brown


Title: Torn Away
Author: Jennifer Brown
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 6th May 2014

Tell Me About It
Born and raised in the Midwest, Jersey Cameron knows all about tornadoes. Or so she thinks. When her town is devastated by a twister, Jersey survives -- but loses her mother, her young sister, and her home. As she struggles to overcome her grief, she's sent to live with her only surviving relatives: first her biological father, then her estranged grandparents.

In an unfamiliar place, Jersey faces a reality she's never considered before -- one in which her mother wasn't perfect, and neither were her grandparents, but they all loved her just the same. Together, they create a new definition of family. And that's something no tornado can touch.
My Thoughts
I love anything related to natural disasters, earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, so when I saw that Torn Away is the aftermath of a tornado I knew I had to read this one. What starts out as a normal day for Jersey, soon ends up leaving her alone, with no family around to help.

As you can see from the synopsis Jersey is left with no Mum or Sister, only a Step-Father who quickly ships her off to her paternal Grandparents, and when she arrives there discovers her Dad, his Wife, his children, her Auntie and her children, all living in the Grandparents house. She has to sleep on the porch as there is no room for her and it asked to do a lot of the chores in the house, and basically tidying up all the mess that everyone leaves behind.

Torn Away was an unputdownable read for me. Getting to see how one person tried to survive in the aftermath of the tornado, and search for her family was a heartbreaking story, and I found myself with tears in my eyes seeing how she struggles to keep on going. Just when I thought everything would be OK for Jersey she is packed off to live with Grandparents she has never met before, she is thrown from one disaster to another, and while she is trying to deal with the grief she has her step sisters annoying her, and a whole new family that didn't exactly want her around. I thought my heart could not break any more for Jersey. When she finally takes matters into her own hands she is sent off to live with her maternal Grandparents, and I found it really hard to read the words through the amount of tears I cried, not the sad tears like before, but the happy, relieved tears that Jersey was finally somewhere safe.

Torn Away is packed so full of emotions I don't know how it is all contained in this one little book. Jennifer Brown has drew me into the world she has created and I did not want to leave it. She manages to make you feel like part of the story, experiencing every single emotion that Jersey does but also makes you see how much devastation can be caused, how much a single life can change in the course of one natural disaster.

1 comment:

  1. I have this on my kindle and now after seeing your great review I am tempted to move it up my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...