Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Review: Toxic Heart by Theo Lawrence


Title: Toxic Heart
Author: Theo Lawrence
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia,
Series: Mystic City #2
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Publication Date: 10th April 2014

Tell Me About It
A city in flames. A trust betrayed. A perfect love destroyed.

Has Aria lost Hunter, her one true love?

Ever since rebellion broke out in Mystic City, pitting the ruling elite against the magic-wielding mystics, Aria has barely seen her boyfriend. Not surprising, since Hunter is the leader of the mystic uprising, and he'll do whatever it takes to win freedom for his people—even if that means using Aria.

But Aria is no one's pawn. She believes she can bring the two warring sides together, save the city, and win back the Hunter she fell in love with.

Before she can play peacemaker, though, Aria will need to find the missing heart of a dead mystic. The heart gives untold powers to whoever possesses it, but finding it means seeking out a fierce enemy whose deepest desire is for Aria to be gone—forever.
My Thoughts
I have been looking forward to find out out what happens with Aria and Hunter since I finished reading Mystic City. When Toxic Heart was coming up to publication I knew I had to request a copy for review, and after finishing my current read at the time, I jumped straight into the world Theo has created.

Toxic Heart picks up after the events in Mystic City, with Aria hiding amongst the Mystics, away from her family and trying to find a way to live in her new world. But all is not as safe as she thought it would be, and her family are relentless in their attempts to get her back, whilst Hunter is relentless in his journey to follow in his mother's footsteps and try to save Mystics and find a way to get rid of the enemy.

Reading Toxic Heart it was surprising and shocking to see how much the characters have changed, and not necessarily in a good way. While Aria really comes unto her own in this book, we see her fight for what is right, and not following the cause. She fights for what she believes in, what she thinks will be better for all involved and not just for a group of people, Hunter is changing into a more grimmer, less sensitive person, and I don't like who he is becoming. He is not seeing what is going on around him, and his sight is blinded by the end result he wants, whether it is good or bad for all. Turk however is someone I grew to admire, he helps Aria in times of need and is a constant source of friendship and support when she wants to go out, even if she is meant to stay hidden inside the house.

Throughout Toxic Heart we get to see more Mystic powers in action, and I have to say some of them come in very handy indeed in life or death situations, and I like how descriptive the writing is about these, to ensure we get the full effect of what is happening. The twists and turns in Toxic Heart were some I never expected in a lot of ways, the course that Aria takes, the mission she takes herself on, and the relationship between herself and Hunter. All of these were both good and bad, and they were not something I expected to see at all.

I really liked how Theo has managed to keep you guessing right to the last page over what would happen in Toxic Heart, the build up towards this climatic end was a tense, nervous journey for all involved, even I was on the edge of my seat wondering over what was going to happen, and as it slowly unravelled I was shocked, angry, sad, and happy, emotion after emotion hit me right to the last word. How Toxic Heart ends leaves it open for another instalment in this series, and I really hope we do get to see one soon.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realise this had been published already! I really enjoying the first book but it feels like we've waiting forever for this one LOL. Fab review Michelle, I'm going to have to get hold of a copy soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...