Thursday, 29 May 2014

Review: Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton


Title: Witch Finder
Author: Ruth Warburton
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: Witch Finder #1
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Publication Date: 2nd January 2014

Tell Me About It
London. 1880. In the slums of Spitalfields apprentice blacksmith Luke is facing initiation into the Malleus Maleficorum, the fearsome brotherhood dedicated to hunting and killing witches.

Luke’s final test is to pick a name at random from the Book of Witches, a name he must track down and kill within a month, or face death himself. Luke knows that tonight will change his life forever. But when he picks out sixteen-year-old Rosa Greenwood, Luke has no idea that his task will be harder than he could ever imagine.
My Thoughts
I went into reading Witch Finder with some trepidation, while I do like books about witches I don't tend to read books set in the past. But the minute I began reading I was hooked in this world. We are immediately drawn into the world of Witch Hunters with Luke facing the Malleus Maleficorum with the aim of becoming one of them by taking tests, and then having to select the name of a witch he has to hunt down and kill. That witch being Rosa. The tests are not for the faint of heart and how Luke stood there and took these tests with no signs of distress was nothing short of amazing.

Witch Finder alternates chapters between Luke and Rosa, so we get to see the events unfold through two sides of the story, witches and witch finder, 'good' and 'bad', and I think this is what made this book more appealing to me. We aren't stuck reading from one side of the story, basing our judgements on what we read and see through only one pair of eyes. Seeing both sides of the story enables you to get the full picture, and really get a full, non-judgemental perspective on the whole situation.
One little thing that I liked were the images above each chapter number. I thought it was a nice little touch and looked forward to seeing what image would be next.

Witch Finder was much more than I expected, I loved the mystery, the subterfuge, the magic, and the romance. I devoured every single word I read. I HAD to know what Luke would do, I HAD to know what Rosa would do to keep her family in money. Yes there were a few words I was unfamiliar with, but the sentences they were in made it easy to understand the word in it's context. I may have waited a long time to read Witch Finder, and it may have sat on my shelves for a bit more time, but I am so glad I left it for so long, as now I can dive straight into the next instalment when it is released very soon. Whether or not history or witches are your thing or not, you HAVE to pick up Witch Finder and give it a read, you will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so glad you enjoyed this, I have had it in my TBR pile since it came out and for some reason haven't picked it up yet. I shall make more of an effort to read it, I don't even know why I haven't yet as I loved Ruth's other series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...